Secure Short-Medium range Wireless Network?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secure Short-Medium range Wireless Network?

Question Secure Short-Medium range Wireless Network?

I would be interested in installing a wireless network at the business I work for, maximum range would be around a mile. Anybody has experience/suggestions? Security is to be considered but not of utmost importance since it's no top secret information.
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

What are you going to use to get that range? I take it this is not going to be a standard 802.11 WLAN?

We are using RF to connect buildings when we can't run fiber. It is working very well. If that is what you are planning I can send you some info on vendors.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

I am open to any suggestions, URL's would be appreciated so I can decide what suits me best.

I might have some eqipment you might need, I had an 11mbit connection going 30 miles with this stuff, PM me and I'll tell all you need to know, ok for private non-volitile info, but if it goes by radio then it can be intercepted, if you are a security expert then you might make it secure, but at a cost of slower connections due to the load caused by security measures.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

I guess just to make it clear... you are looking for stuff that will connect 2 wired LAN's ( maybe from one building to another ) If this is what you are looking for I have a lot of info, we are using several differnet vendors equipment. The only problem is it is at work and I just started a 3 day weekend. If this is what you want and it can wait until Monday let me know and I would be happy to send you some detailed info on what we are doing.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

I am not going to connect 2 networks, what I need is being able to access the "base" network from portables and a few standalone machines. The portables need to be able to access the network from a mile at max from outdoor without a line of sight to the "base"

I forgot to add I would need a connection at least 1mb/sec.

802.11b has to be line of site, I have a 12db gain omni directional antenna with a legal limit amplifier/preamplifier, if you can get this high enough and don't have too much foliage obstructing the portables it will work fine.

<edit> The antenna, amplifier, coax, and hardware cost over $1400.00 US around March 2001, the radio (Cisco Aireonet ) was another $1300.00, it is all just collecting dust right now </edit>
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

I dont have much advanced knowledge in wireless technology itself, but I do know how to secure it. So I have a few questions...

Are you wanting to connect your Wireles access point to your companies internal network?

Will the Wireless Devices (portables) always be the same machines, or will they be contantly changing?
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

eaellison: I need something that can work without line of sight since I have multiple buildings and trees that can block the signal within a 100' radius of the base.

Soggy: Yes Soggy, I want to connect to the companies internal network. The wireless devices will always be the same machines indeed.

I think you might want to try out several smaller AP with p<->p connections or maybe point to multpoints .... depands on what you exaclty need.

Originally posted here by SoggyBottom

Are you wanting to connect your Wireles access point to your companies internal network?

Will the Wireless Devices (portables) always be the same machines, or will they be contantly changing?
    This are good points for the security stand point, but that comes after choosing the topology ... i have some good experience doing that for pp and mp's
    assembly.... digital dna ?