View Poll Results: Pay Some Site Members Part-Time?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, this is a bad idea!

4 9.09%
  • Yes, to write tutorials, stories, and other content!

16 36.36%
  • Yes, to help moderate the forums!

11 25.00%
  • Yes, to keep the file archives up to date!

6 13.64%
  • Yes, to answer member questions!

1 2.27%
  • Yes, for a different reason that I mention below!

6 13.64%

Thread: Recomended reading

Lightbulb Recomended reading

Hi all.

I just thought i'd post the name of this book here coz i reckon its a must read for anyone interested in computers and open source.

its called Hackers: Heros of the computer revolution.
    its a history book of sorts.
    it tells the stories from back in the days of the PDP-5 when groups of students at MIT would come together to change the way computing was done.
    it has stuff about the hardware hackers like steve jobs and steve wozniack all the way through to a bit on Richard Stallman.

i read this book about 2 years ago and it made me think about what i was doing with myself (in an IT sence)
    untill then i thought hacking was a cool thing to do, show off a little (you'd be surprised how good a pick up line it is ) but after i read this book i decided to settle down and stop risking my freedom by mucking around with exploits and lamer tools.
    i started to learn how to code and about how/why systems work.
    i now enjoy computing so much more

now im about 3 months off going to university to undertake a Bachalor of Engineering with a Software engineering major.

so... yeah.... now if you get newbies bugging you asking how to hack.... point them in the direction of the library.

l8erz
    HacTek
    Eagles may soar.... But weasles don\'t get sucked into jet engines

Sounds good HacTek, but maybe this should be in the Book Reviews forum... I may have to check it out. Thanks for the post.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

wow, that sounds like how i started out couple years f***ing around with illegal sh*t and now i read some books, and watched Takedown, and i decided it was a bad path. anyway, thanks for the reading material ill have to look for that and see what its all about. are you sure its out in the US? i dont want to go on a fruitless search if i will have to end up buying it anyway.
    I did not come here to tell you how it is going to end, I came here to tell you how it was going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, then I\'m going to tell these people what you don\'t want them to hear.

Sorry, didn't realise there was a book review forum

um im not sure if its avalible in the US but i should think it is.
    it was an american publisher and it was available at my hometowns library. if its here it must be in the US
    Eagles may soar.... But weasles don\'t get sucked into jet engines