View Poll Results: Would you shop in an AntiOnline Store?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I never buy anything anywhere!

3 7.69%
  • No, I my company only deals with a select vendor list!

0 0%
  • Yes, of course I would buy tech gear from AntiOnline!

29 74.36%
  • Yes, but only to buy an AntiOnline lunchbox.

7 17.95%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will it work?

Question Will it work?

A friend of mine bought a "Hack-protector" online and the product claims to be able to reverse IP adresses and ports if someone tries to hack into your system while you are online, thus making them hack into their own system. My question to you is: DO these work as well as they claim to(or at all) and are they worth the risk?
    I love pizza...........Do you?

can you post the url, so I can have a look?

Cheers

SittingDuck
    I\'m a SittingDuck, but the question is \"Is your web app a Sitting Duck?\"

I don't know the URL. Apparently, it was in a prog. called Rampage Toolz and when he emailed the owner of the site asking a question, thats what he was told.
    I love pizza...........Do you?

I guess it's a possibility,but even if it does,I definately wouldn't depend soley on that one thing to protect my system,because it can't and won't stop every attack.The fact that it's not posted in every security forum on the net could suggest something about the quality of it.Actually most of the stuff you're going to run across doesn't even involve intrusion through ports,such as malicious code in downloads and such.There's no one miracle tool that will prevent an attack.It takes a combination of security software,hardware,and even more importantly knowledge of security to have a relatively secure system.If you don't know how to configure your firewall,read logs,stay updated on patches/updates to virus db's and many many more things,you can have all of the stuff in the world that claims to make your computer more secure,and it won't help a bit.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

Sorry to say, but for me I don't I want to take a risk bout hacking software. I never trust them. Never spend money doing sth u're not sure bout the result.

For the sake of discussion, lets say the tool works as you have described. Now the 'Hacker' that started the attack may be using different methods to hide his identity (poxies, or a hijacked computer). Now this 'tool' kicks in and starts attacking back. First thing that is going to happen is, I believe your friends ISP will pick up on this and at the very least kill your friends internet connection for a breach of it's acceptable use policy. They may even take it farther and report your friend to the authorities which will result in even bigger problems for your friend (remember hacking is illegal). Now, do you really want to risk running a tool which has more potential for harm than for benefit?

Cheers:
    DjM

Let me get this straight ....you want to stop people from "hacking" into your system, by getting software that will (pretty much the essence of it) hack them back? They're better ways to do it. Like contacting the perpetrators ISP. I fire off about 10 emails on average a day to various ISPs regarding abuse. I know it's tedious but hey, it works.
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

All of these ideas are in theory, right? or does everyone actually know what they're talking about?

I think y2K said it best :-)
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Couple things, first I remember Rampage Tools and I remember scanning it and found a trojan in it. Dunno about your copy, but Mine had a trojan. Second, "hacking-back" is not legal and is a wrong way of going by things. Now, if you hack back and decide to report him, that still isn't right because they can easily say, "Well you did the same to us". Contacting the abuse department of their ISP is definitely the right way to go by things.
    Space For Rent.. =]

I don't know if this Rampage tools program works as advertised, although I don't see why it wouldn't. As far as the moral question of whether or not you should "hack him back" that people seem to be so concerned with, they should keep in mind that HE will be only doing to HIS system what HE intended to do to YOURS. That certainly doesn't make you the badguy.