Arp command failure..

Thread: Arp command failure..

Arp command failure..

Hi guys, I've got a little problem 'ere..

The problem is that when I run the arp command in console it onlyshows my router and not the other computers on the network..

I've been trying the command from SuSE Linux and Win XP but the result is the same,
    I've also read the manual entry for arp in linux but it didn't help, can you help me?

Thanx guys..

Have you tried pinging one of the other machines, then checking the arp cache? I wonder if there is a way to manually set the time that the entries expire. Did you see anything about that in the man page? Hmmmm...make sure all of your machines have the same subnet mask and that you can communicate between them. It almost sounds like they could not be communicating at all. I don't know for sure. What's your configuration of the network?
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Yeah it worked when I pinged them before i checked, but it is only the pinged computers that appears and i guess it's not supposed to work this way... I checked the man entry again but i dit not find any option about expiration time...
    The network architecture is three computers connected to each other and the internet via a router/gateway, plus one computer connected via uplink to a hub, but that one is sealed of from other traffic than port 80 for security reasons..

That sounds like your answer. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you should not see anything in your arp cache unless some form of communication is attempted. It would be different if your machines were not able to communicate, but I didn't see that you were having problems communicating between them, so it seems to be working properly. ARP will only occur when needed. (ie..."whoever has this IP address, send me your MAC address...and so there you have a brand spankin' new entry in your arp cache - at least temporarily - so that communication to that host is that much faster...)I have attached a link here that may help you a bit if you have questions. I hope this helps.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Yeah, thanx, that helped quite a bit.

Thank you t2k2..