Thread: cant istall dsl softwr installshield access denied

cant istall dsl softwr installshield access denied

windows 98se is OS Baffled....I am trying to install software for my new dsl. When i attempt the response is "InstallShield (Ikernal.exe) cannot install...access denied....
    At the MS & Installshield sites I was told to go to the prompt and type in ' DCOMcnfg.exe ' Distributed COM Configuration Properties to change to change the access permission. I get bad command. In windows I went where you should be able to change the access permission.

Before you can use DCOM, you must specify which people can gain access to each file or printer you share. to open the Network dialog box, click the Access Control tab, click User-level access control, and then specify where the master list of users is stored.

When I go there I am asked to give the location of the master list is.........what master list? I don't know what to put in there.

Using 98SE Baffled....I am trying to install software for my new dsl. When i attempt the response is "InstallShield (Ikernal.exe) cannot install...access denied....
    At the MS & Installshield sites I was told to go to the prompt and type in ' DCOMcnfg.exe ' Distributed COM Configuration Properties to change to change the access permission. I get bad command. In windows help I to change the access permission (To set permissions for a DCOM application to open the Distributed COM Configuration Properties dialog box. Click the application you want to configure, and then click Properties. Click the Security tab. Click Use custom access permissions, and then click Edit. If needed, click Add to add other user or group accounts to Name. In Add Access Permissions, click the user or group whose permissions you want to set, then click Grant Access or Deny Access). Before you can use DCOM, you must specify which people can gain access to each file or printer you share. to open the Network dialog box, click the Access Control tab, click User-level access control, and then specify where the master list of users is stored. When I go there I am asked to give the location of the master list is.........what master list? I don't know what to put in the windows for the group to give me access to dconcnfg!!

Thanks ollis

Senior since the 3 dot era
    The Master List contains your user info about window shares.
    You need to set your security to user level before you can configure Dcom. Go to start, control panel, network, select the access control tab and choose "User-level access control" now you can choose to get a list of users from a source this can be local or from anothjer box on your network like a WinNT or Win2000 server.

I got it..Thanks

Thanks V,
    Turned out I had tweaked this thing so much when I had dail-up to protect my system that it let no one in. Finally painstakenling reversed all that had been done. Your advise is much appreciated. Thanks again for the speedy response.

Collis