Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: U.N Security Counsil OK's Iraq Resolution

... Uhm, right. Well, I'm interested in opinions, so if anyone would like to share the opinion feel free to post here your opinion. I can't wait to hear everyone's view on it!
    Space For Rent.. =]

My opinion Spyder is that by being spineless the UN has let Saddam off the hook. He is sick (physically) and maybe doesn't have much time left.....makes for a very dangerous man. As I said earlier he has had 4 years to hide his weapons. Whatever he is he's not stupid.

This latest developement? I am reminded of Neville Chamberlain waving a piece of paper in his hand from Adolf Hitler and proclaiming 'peace in our time'. Though to be fair I don't think there is the same naivety now as there was then.

I sincerely hope that my opinion is wrong or we may see a lot of ppl suffer due to the ineptitude and self seeking of some western politicians.
    do unto others before they do unto you

rvf500, you make an interesting point. By the U.N backing Saddam into a corner, he is possibly dangerous now. When you back someone in the corner, especially someone like him, he is at his most dangerous point, IMHO.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Banned
    i definitely think saddam is dangerous. esp. if he is backed into a corner, people in iraq will start either rallying with him, or rally against him. he is in a tough spot if you ask me.

Heh, based on history, I'm sure he will brainwash the people of Iraq into helping him or rallying with him. That is, however, if they don't see exactly what he is doing. I'm hoping that the people or Iraq can see that he is an evil man and one that shouldn't be in countrol of nuclear missles or anything weapons of mass destruction. This of course is JMHO.
    Space For Rent.. =]

.... Oh, sorry if I forgot to post the link to yahoo.com, but it was from there. I don't care if someone negged me for forgetting the source, it was my fault, but negging me over that was kinda stupid. However, I don't care about the negative antipoints, because whoever gave them to me was right in a sense. Anyways, like I said, it was from yahoo.com. Thank you and sorry for not putting it there.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Unhappy

so when should we be worried about attack on us? we should thank them for giving us a timeline now....anytime from now until----whenever...for getting the ball rolling...Saddam is nuts, and i know we have to go in to check out what he has, but wouldn't this just freak him into using them sooner? They shouldn't have been so public with all of this information until it was already in the works. I don't like it when the government reveals what they are up to, before it even happens. Talk about giving the "heads up"..i don't know am i wrong to think this way?

Regardless of whether they'd gone public or not, Iraq would still know the deadline and possibly be scared by it, so it is immaterial whether the general public knows or not.

When it comes to worrying about his weapons being used, it depends what you would define 'using' as. Say that he has a large stockpile of nuclear weapons, and he could conceivably launch or transport a nuke to Israel or the US... there's no way he will do it as president of Iraq. His country will be flattened and he knows it. If he does have WOMD, he may attempt to sell them off to 'terrorist' groups, who may then use them against Israel or the US. In this respect, the amnesty of seven days which the UN has given Saddam for declaring his WOMD is possibly a little misguided (I am not sure of the logistics surrounding the export of WOMD). Theoretically he could (assuming he actually has any WOMD) sell his weapons to whoever wishes to buy them, possibly 'terrorist' groups, and these groups might then use these weapons to greater effect than if Saddam had used them, because it won't be able to be linked back to a country. Meanwhile, Saddam has a clean bill of health from the UN inspectors, he's sitting pretty, while his enemies (assuming his enemies are the US and Israel) are wondering where the hell those bombs came from. Even if he declared and gave up a heap of weapons (again assuming he actually has any weapons), he could still hand a few out here and there to 'terrorist' groups which could cause massive damage.

I can see the above as a conceivable scenario which keeps Saddam in power and wreaks havoc on the West and Israel. Although with satellites and the like, the US and Britain may be able to find out about the export of the weapons.

I don't know what the UN could have done with this resolution, or whether there should have been a resolution in the first place. I certainly don't think they should have simply marched on in immediately and set up inspections again. But still, Saddam has said time and time again that he would welcome the return of inspectors. If he allowed them back in immediately, maybe the embargoes and sanctions could be lifted and Iraq could return to some state of normality.

Nevertheless. it looks as if war between the US and Iraq is pretty much inevitable considering they've sectioned off almost a quarter of Kuwait solely for training exercises.

I don't like it when the government reveals what they are up to, before it even happens.
    Usually governments only reveal what will be revealed by other sources if they don't.There's plenty of info that they're not telling anyone.The US and Britain had no choice but to give him a little more time,because they went the politically correct red tape route,instead of just rolling in there right off the bat on their own and demolishing everything.I agree that it would be much more effective to do things in a secretive manner,but there was way too much critisizm from the world and from within our own country to do things that way,it goes with being a world power.

As for my opinion on the matter,I think the US and Britain went about things the best way they could.They jumped through the UN hoops,so nobody could say we just charged in there without just cause,and it bought us enough time to already have a large force of troops in the area just waiting for the go ahead.If/when we invade,there's between 200,000 and 250,000 troops on standby,which I also think is a good idea.The larger the force we roll in there with,the lighter casualties our soldiers take.

To comment on Powertoad's post.I think that Saddam trading/selling his weapons to terrorist groups has been going on for a while,and it's probably been on a sharp increase lately.The sattalites can track some things,but if they're not moving the stuff in huge convoys I doubt anyone's going to see it.As for Israel,they have a very well trained military,and I don't think Iraq's military poses much of a threat to Israel,but what does pose a threat is the weapons from Iraq's military being sold to terrorist groups.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

I agree with you 100% gghornet. And would like to add that the only thing a government that is supporting terrorists can do in the face of impending defeat, is to dump their weapons on those that will continue to fight for their cause. Every day that passes just adds to the threat. Waiting is stupid!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”