programming video games

Thread: programming video games

programming video games

As far as I know to make a video game you need to make the 3-d models and you also need to program the code of the game. My question is if anybody knows how these two are joined how do you tell a piece of code to interact with 3-d figures made in 3D studio max or maya, and what programming languages are used in the video game industry?
    I know this is not a site dedicated to this subject but I am still asking this here because I know this site is visited by experts in many field of computers.

You'd usually/commonly use C++ and Direct3D;
    Direct3D has some functions that enable you to read a file of a 3d model and load it into a matrix (A matrix being the collection of points and lines that represent the model). Animating the models after that is all about mathematical operations (in part already programmed in the 3d API used, ie: Direct3D) being applied to the matricies. Then other 3d api functions have to be called in specific sequences to have the models rendered to the screen buffer and then the screen buffer printed to the screen...

In (very) brief, that's about it...

Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

johnnymier -- If you're new to game programming, or even if you're not so new, you may want to take a look at DarkBasic Pro. It's a programming language that is built on the BASIC language, but it includes several functions that directly call DirectX functions. In addition, DarkBasic Pro is not an interpreted language. It's compiled which makes a very quick end result. You probably won't be able to code the next QuakeIII (which, like most professional games these days is probably coded in C++ with some assembly subroutines) in terms of speed with DB Pro, but if you have the talent, you can definitely make something look like QuakeIII.

As for the media files (like AVI's, images, mp3's) and 3d models (like .X, .3ds, .bsp), you load them at the beginning of the program. Then you can call them whenever you want. For example, to load and play a .wav file, the code would be:

load sound "bigboom.wav", 1
    play sound 1
    It's that simple. DB Pro is an outstanding programming environment for the learning or amateur coder, but it also has the capabilities to create some really beautiful and addictive games for the more professional coders looking to get published. (Man, I sound like a commercial).

It has support for a ton of different filetypes including BSP files (Quake, Half-Life, MoHAA, and Castle Wolfenstein use BSP's for their map types), so map editors like WorldCraft will work fine. Let me know if you need any more resources. I really like DB Pro, and I've gathered a bunch of good tutorials from all over.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

... Also, if your interested in Game Programming, but aren't quite an expert on it yet, I'd suggest this interesting site which has a program that help's create games, contests, etc. It's really interesting, easy to a beginner, fun, and can help you make some cool games. Browse that site awhile to get the general idea and purpose. Hope I helped!
    Space For Rent.. =]