Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP SP1.

Developer Extraordinar

Windows XP SP1.

Well....here is my story, and I need your help...

I installed Sp1 for Windows XP. Even though rioter suggested agianst it, I know I should have listened now. And I need your help uninstalling it. I backed up all my files so it is in the Add/Remove Programs, now here is my problem, when I click remove it come up with a list of nearly everyprogram on my computer and it says "These programs may not work if you uninstall this, in that list was Apache,mySQL, BPFTP, Kerio, and someother things that are needed for my server. Now, should I just go for the uninstallation? Or should I keep it how it is and hope Microsoft fixes everything up soon? Or is there a better way to go about it?

Also the reason I'm not using Linux is becasue my family uses this computer, and my mom isn't to keen on Linux. She said it is to confusing for her.

Help!

MicroBurn

MicroBurn, I think you'd be safe in uninstalling it. Usually, the warnings are there as a "just in case" kind of thing. I've removed many programs that had that same kind of warning and never had a problem. M$ says the sp1 can safely be removed, if you trust microsoft.

On the other hand, I'd wait for a few more replies and see what the consensus is. The service pack isn't just any piece of software. It went in okay on my computer and I even picked up a few hundred MB of space. I've read though that roughly 40% of people had trouble with it.

The Iceman Cometh
    Why do you need to uninstall it? What sort of problems are you having? In my experience with Service Packs (from Microsoft as well as other manufacturers) uninstalling the Service Pack does not always remedy the problem and typically causes even more problems. I would suggest a proactive approach to your problem by finding out what errors you are experiencing and working through each one until they are all resolved.

AJ

Developer Extraordinar
    Well, since I installed it, my computer freezes for no reason. And it just started AFTER I installed SP1. My computer seems somewhat slower. And amoung other things, I've been havn't a few problems.

i installed the SP1 and i had a lots of problems and then i uninstalled it and i had been reciving a messenge windows that says

Windows File Protection
    Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of theses files.

Insert your Windows Xp Profesional CD-Rom Now.

i couldn't take a snap shot of that because i can't. since i unstalled i had several problems with my system i havent had time to re-install windows.

THis were my .02 cents

i hope that nothing like this happens to you

Good luck

Developer Extraordinar
    Hmm.....Maybe I'll just look around at the system....inside and out, and in Windows...hopefully I can fix it.

The Iceman Cometh
    Are any specific programs open when your computer freezes? Also, does your Event Viewer give you any insight as to what could be causing the problem? Most likely, either you have some software which is having a problem (check for updates for programs you have installed on your computer... I know at least three programs I use on a regular basis needed patches to work after installing SP1) or a hardware driver that's incompatible (I suggest you download updated drivers for all of your hardware products and install them. It may be something as simple as an out-dated video driver or something.) Good luck.

AJ

Hi,

I also installed XP SP1 and ran into some problems......I made a restore point just before installing it. I ran the restore and all is ok

Drakken
    Drak

Developer Extraordinar
    Yes, but if I restore I lose programs and data....I don't really wanna do that.

Hi,

You'll only lose anything you installed after the SP1 install....you can save what you installed logged etc.....and do a restore. Once you install XP SP1 it should make a restore point anyway.
    Drak