VCD Help!

Thread: VCD Help!

VCD Help!

I have 2 computers here, both running Win98 SE

I installed Windows Media Player 7.01 on both computers from the same setup file.

Both installed OK

The VCD I made can play on one computer but not the other, WMP says 'File format not supported' on one but plays fine on the other....

Any ideas of why???

Makes no sense to me at all....
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Old Fart
    On the WMP that is refusing to play the VCD, check your options and make sure the player is set to automatically download codecs as needed. Just a thought.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

oh yeah, FYI, the one that plays the VCD is a fresh install of Win98, no updates, and a fresh install of WMP, no codecs dl'd at all, no internet connection on that comp for that matter!

The one that wont play it has updated win98 and is connected online...
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Old Fart
    Are there any other players other than WMP installed on the comp. that plays VCDs (i.e the playa, DIVX player 2.0, etc)? If so, then that might be the answer. Otherwise, all I can say is....WEIRD.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Yeah, I would say it's almost certainly a codec issue. Have you tried playing the raw MPEG file before it gets authored to CD? That will pretty much tell you for sure. You might look for the Nimo codec pack on Google, because it seems to have all the codecs you might need in one package.

You might also try using a DVD player like PowerDVD.... I know that plays them without a hitch. What did you encode and author your CD with. and what kind of options did you use in the encoding?
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

I agree with problemchild. I had the same problem, but Power DVD worked every time. I'm pretty sure it's the codecs, just like these guys already said.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile