View Poll Results: If you had the choice.

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • AntiOnline sold to a competent 3rd party, and have everything stay how it is for the most part.

18 30.00%
  • AntiOnline stay put, but with more advertising from third-parties on the site.

29 48.33%
  • AntiOnline stay put, with no advertising, but a monthly subscription fee.

2 3.33%
  • AntiOnline stay put, with some advertising, and a monthly subscription fee for premium content/services only.

10 16.67%
  • I really do not care, it is a stupid website!

1 1.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AO "community project": build a (virtual) network from scratch

AO "community project": build a (virtual) network from scratch

In an effort to stimulate technical discussion, I'd like to propose a "community project":
    What I had in mind is to build a "put yourself in context" scenario/exercise in which everyone can contribute his ideas and discuss possibilities with each other. I was thinking something like how would you build a network (infrastructure) from scratch while on a limited budget and having to fullfil certain requirements: It must serv X number of users, in Y groups, have internet access, host it's own web (and ftp?) servers with W number of hits/day, must be secure (to possible extenet of course, but describe why you feel this is secure enough and/or an acceptable risk), describe what types of system you would use (OS... why?), the network topology, ACLs, policies, network surveillance/and monitoring systems (software, hardware), remote access possibilities, network map etc.

Of course a more detailed profile of the purpose of the network would be needed but you get the idea...

I think it would be a good oportunity for experienced members to share there knowledge and greate learning opportunity for others to learn and ask questions.

This might also provide a good place to tie in much of the tutorials: "I'd put a snort IDS box on that segment"-> link to a snort tutorial, "Configure the firewall to allow/deny so and so"-> link to firewall tut (you get the idea)...

Well, what do you think?
    Do you like the idea? Would you get into it? Could you learn from this?

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

ammo you all ready know i think this idea is briiliant it could really bring back the techy side and get the comunity better aquanted with each other all in all a really good idea
    i also think a lot of people new and senior alike could benifit from all the info

EDIT:I should have voted for option 2 in the poll i was just exited with the idea and voted on the first answer =/
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

It's a gas!
    This is a great idea and is sure to get the topic of discussion back to the level it was.
    Im definitely up for it and im sure everyone else will share the same opinion because of the benefits for all.

r3b00+

I think it's a great idea.I've been been doing a lot of reading about networking,and am thinking about going for a cert in that area soon,so it would give me an oppurtunity to test what I've learned,and more importantly it would be a great way to bring everybody together to share their knowledge and learn.

Do you have any ideas as to how it's going to be done(ie. just open discussion,voting,a little of both)?

Just to throw an idea for a scenario out on the table,I think an up and coming insurance company/bank with a high likleyhood of rapid expansion would be a good idea.Most up and coming companys would be on a tight budget,a bank or insurance company is going to need the best security it can get,and there would be quite a few users on a network of that type with different levels of access and areas of expertise.Just an idea.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

It's a really exciting project (which could raise the level of discussions). Everybody needs will probably learn something of this and, as it is always necessary to study the theory of a network before building it, it will probably help a lot of people even for the most experienced members.
    Ah, if only I had less work, I would already have begun to recompile my networks structures infos.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Great idea I eagerly await "AO community project #1". Maybe we could place the finished project in the newsletter.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Originally posted here by gghornet
    Do you have any ideas as to how it's going to be done(ie. just open discussion,voting,a little of both)?
    I/We haven't decided on a "format" for the project yet... Right now I am/was just interested in knowing if people are interested... Since the idea seems to be taking on, I guess I/we'll start planning

Ammo

Count me in
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Perhaps the program and/or source could then be donated to a school or a library or something like that.

I do have limited experience working with projects like this, mostly thanks to sourceforge.net. The general idea there is that a project coordinator comes up with a document during the planning stage in which he/she outlines the project and available positions. Applicants then email the coordiantor who selects the most (or sometimes the least) qualified applicant.

The project would also need positions like document writers and/or translators, graphic deesigners, distrtibutors, promoters, web designers, and a host of other talents not directly related to programming. I'm pretty sure anybody who is willing to help is also able.

Where should we send info on how we would be able to help? (If everybody posts it here, this thread will quickly exceed the 100 post mark... rather tedious)

Did I mention that I think it's a great idea?
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Striek,

It's not about programming something, it's about describing the process of building a network from scratch: deciding the topology, the hardware and software to be used, elaborate on security systems to be used... Sharing what you know and learning from what others know...

Ammo