a bizarre piece of hardware
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a bizarre piece of hardware

a bizarre piece of hardware

First some background info...

I'm working on a computer for a friend, who asked me to wipe the hdd and install windows for them and generally set it up like you would get from the factory. The computer was so messed up that it wouldnt even boot up to Win 98, so I decided to format the hdd and reinstall, simple enough right? Well I formatted, reinstalled windows (at least I think it reinstalled) and still it wouldnt boot.

The real suprise...

I decided to pull the cover off of the case to see if I could switch the hdd with a spare one I had laying around that I knew worked. When I pulled the cover off I was suprised to find the most bizzare looking hdd I have ever seen in my life. I'm not even going to try to describe it, I will just attach the picture I took and let everyone see for themselves. I don't know the first thing about this thing, and I was hoping that somone here had seen one before and coult clue me in as to just how it worked, and how I would go about installing windows 98 on it, as it seems to not like the normal run of the mill installation process.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

that computer seems like a Compaq Presario with a big foot Hard Drive, is just like the others hd but I know for a fact that those hd had problems and also I know for a fact that compaq used to provided Rompaqs update for those kind of drives if you told me the model number of the computer i can look around in all my files or u can check in compaq website of course I'm supposing is a compaq presario computer.
    just let me know

\"Knowledge is Power\"

Careful if you fdisk this drive, compaq used to store the bios information on the hard drive in a hidden partition, if this partition gets corrupted the computer will no longer boot. also if you replace this drive with another you will need to order it from compaq so it will have the bios info preloaded. There is another option with a bootable CD that can be obtained from compaq, that will allow replacement with a different drive. I doubt that they give that away though. Good luck.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

I just checked, its a Presario 5222. That definately complicates it that it might store the bios on the hdd. I'll have to fire it up tomorrow after class and make sure that I didn't kill that bios partition and turn it into a large paper weight? I wonder what possessed Compaq to use something like that?
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO

>I just checked, its a Presario 5222. That definately complicates it that it might store the bios on the hdd. I'll have to fire it up tomorrow after class and make sure that I >didn't kill that bios partition and turn it into a large paper weight? I wonder what possessed Compaq to use something like that?

Good luck, and the reason they did it was probably as a cost cutting measure, ie. one less chip to put on the mainboard.
    Reality.sys corrupt. Reboot universe? (y/n/q)
    http://polarbbs.mine.nu/~eidolon
    telnet://polarbbs.mine.nu/

So you would have to take it to an authorized Compaq service center...this is my guess. The first time I ran into one of these I could not believe it either. If you check the mobo you will not find a bios chip, lol, what a way to cut production costs. Did you fdisk it or just reformat the c partition?

actually now that I think about it I just formatted the c partition, cause I didn't have a disk setting around with fdisk on it, so I couldnt, and now that you told me about the bios I definately am not going to do that. Thanks a bunch aeallison you probably saved me from messing it up even worse!

My guess on why they did it would have to be that they didn't want anybody but them to ever be able to upgrade the machine, thus making their hold on you permanent. Just another reason to dislike the big corporations, they do things like that just to make you pay more later on. Anyway, better take it in to your nearest certified Compaq dealer and let them fix it up.
    I did not come here to tell you how it is going to end, I came here to tell you how it was going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, then I\'m going to tell these people what you don\'t want them to hear.

ok let see you have to go here http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_lis...s&fam=Presario and from there you need to find your model and download the hd upgrade, and about the hidden partition on compaq computer isn't really a big deal everything you can download form his website, make the diskettes (2) and it will reconize that the hd don't have the hidden partition and will create it.
    I couldn't check for your update thing cause for some reason is not working properly their website anyways if you really need it i can send some emails to a friends and they can send it to me ( I used to work for CPQ in tech)
    pm me if u need some more help
    \"Knowledge is Power\"

Talking Woah d00d!

Cool, an ex Compaq tech....answer us this question, oh profound CPQ wizard. Why did CPQ do that, for cost cutting, or for the more "Bill Gates" reason.
    This I have to know, I alway thought this bios on the hard drive crap was the stupidest thing any computer manufacturer ever came up with. I havn't reccomended a Compaq PC to anyone since...(although my network consists of mainly compaq proliants, 6500R, 2500R these don't have that stupid bios setup as well do they? I haven't had to work on any of these at that level)