Thread: Riskey learning?

Riskey learning?

Me and a friend boath had an idea, were gunna start doing some "war games" (i think there called.) I'll put up a linux box, and he'll do the same and well try to break in/ secure these boxes. I think this is a good idea 'cuz as all the usefull information needed to suceed in this.
    My question is this, Im on a local DSL provider and my friends on a local Cable prider..... Could these actions possibly get us into trouble? Should we notify anyone of this? thanks in advance

I don't see why it would as long as you both agree to it.I think it might be a good idea for both of you to put it in writing,because it wouldn't be unheard of if one of you screwed the other ones box up,and you don't want your friend to get pissed and say you didn't have permission and call cops or your ISP.If you do decide to call the ISP or somone else about any possible regulations reguarding this,I'd advise you to call it penetration testing or something like that instead of war games,because they might look down on that terminology.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

agreed, penetration operations are getting the go ahead. thanks for the inputgghornet.

you really should call whoevers on cable, because cable runs like a LAN so depending on what your doing you might accidently mess up another persons connection so be sure to call the ISP and tell them like ghhornet said and get it in writing with you and your friend that you both agree and sign your names and make TWO copies just in case and tell the cable company about your penetration testing, and good luck and have fun

Banned
    Well if your going to setup a few wargames then you should be very prepared to re-format that PC alot. You'll also need to look after the game so nobody gets to abusive with your box. Just make sure that there are alot of fair warnings & rules.

Sounds funny but it would also help to get legal advise....

i attack my servers all the time and never get a peep out my isp. just don't allow anyone the DoS your box, if you, meaning anyone in your group, goes chewing up everyones bandwidth, you will get kicked-off.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Oh,and back everything up.Keep it somewhere outside of your computer.It will save you a lot of time if someone screws something up and you have to reformat/reinstall everything.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

thanks for the info guys(gals?). All sugestions will be notes and most likly followed, thanks again for the help