Thread: Win ver. of Nmap

Win ver. of Nmap

I understand that the windows version of nmpa is till in the beta version but i downloaded wut they had of it and wincap. im getting an error in doing this:
    Code:
     C:\>nmap -O 206.13.29.11 -Ox OSfile.xml

and i get..
    "starting nmap version 3.00"
    and then it gives me an error saying that the host is down.
    now i know the server isnt down because ive pinged and it and did a port scan using superscan. Can anyone help me with this?

Check to see what it does when you do this:

nmap 206.13.29.11 Then try
    nmap -S0 206.13.29.11 (-S0 <-- this is a zero )
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

I got a warning about how it im not giving a source to spoof my IP address and gave some directions about how i could spoof it and then it quit.

hmmm.....it didnt say anything about OS detection

Sorry. use the linux version and have no problem. Never used the windows version. I just thought I would throw that at you to see if it did a scan.

Sorry
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

nmapwin

i've had exactly the same problem. someone in another group suggested using the don't ping first option. this helps. as well, try using the -vv or very verbose swith to get more info on what nmap is doing.

WinPcap

Hello.
    It sounds like you did not install the WinPcap driver first, before running NMAP on a Windows box. NMAP needs it to work, since the TCP/IP stack in Windows is deficient in many things. That is why the special packet driver!
    At the download page for NMAP, in the Windows section, there aer 2 downloadable options. The ZIP file and the EXE file.
    The ZIP file does NOT come with the winPcap driver.
    Download the EXE version, and install that. During the install, you will be prompted to install the Polito WinPcap driver. Do that!
    Reboot after the driver is on.
    After that, the install will finish.
    At that point, then try and run your NMAP command.

Now, you could look to see if the WinPcap driver is running or not before you try and run NMAP. It is in a different spot depending on whichever Win OS you have, though.

One last thing: I use NMAP on Windows and I have no problem doing a PING and sending out the TCP ACK packets. My normal scan is this:
    NMAP -sS -PT -PI -F -O -vv -T 1 -oN "c:\scan.txt" ip_address

Im pretty sure i installed it right but i will try again......

Possibly out of date, but whatever. The newest version of Nmap for Windows is NmapWin. I installed it and it crashed my system: winXP pro w/ sygate personal firewall & ADSL connection. Don't know what happened!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    \"First you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women\"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Lightbulb

I have only seen the Windoze version of Nmap work properly one time. I have installed it on about 5 different Win32 systems and each one of them reported different errors with it.

As someone else advised, go find a junky PII box and throw Linux on there and then go grab Nmap and install it. You wont be dissapointed. I'm sure that I speak for others when I say that Nmap on Linux is very solid and dependable.

Another thing you can do is get a copy of VMware and then install Linux on a virtual partition on your windows box. This is really slick. I currently have an XP laptop that I use for WarChalking but I also have VMware on it where I house W98, BSD4.7, RH8.0 and Slackware. Just something to consider as a work around to the crappy implimentation of Nmap for Windoze.

In order to correctly spoof an IP address you must not only use the -P0 option but you must also specify what interface you are you using. Like so:

nmap -sS -e eth0 -P0 -S 255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0

or if you are ppp

nmap -sS -e ppp0 -P0 -S 255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0

Hope this helps.