Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laptop Opinion

Smile laptop Opinion

hey everyone, iv been trying to think lately, and id like your opinion on what the best overall laptop is in your opinion, i like huge HDs and lotsa ram and basically an overall great laptop, but i also want hardware compatible with anything from Free BSD to Linux to windows 95, 98 and 2,000, im still searching around online but i posted this because id like YOUR opinions before i buy anything, so anyone thats got a laptop or had one that really liked it or know of a great one please reply, thanks alot in advance-
    gore

I used a ThinkPad for a couple of years. That thing was built like a brick shithouse. Flew through my car windshiled once in an accident and when I picked it up off the ground 20 feet away it was still running. Made a nice dent in the plastic though. It was easily upgradeable too. Would definitely recommend one to anyone considering purchasing a laptop.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

I have an HP Pavilion with a P4M 2.5 gHz DVD/CDRW combo drive 512 RAM 30GB HDD and 15.1 in display... I run Win XP Pro and it has been used in the desert (Afganastan) heat, mountian Cold (Ft. Carson, CO) and on a cruise (The US Virgin Islands... That was fun)... It has been abused and beaten by bagage handlers, soldiers, and me for a little over a year and a half and I haven't had a problem with it yet... I doubt that you are going to be taking yours to a combat zone to play Diablo II on (that's what my wife did) I would recomend it to anyone that was looking for a laptop...
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

Since you asked. I have an old laptop that I use for basic applications but it must be constantly plugged in. The manufacturer is unimportant because they are out of business.

I have been looking for a new one and so far I have been impressed by the top of the line Toshiba's and Dells. The selling point for me though is the onboard Geforce Go video. In tests this turns the laptop into a passable gaming machine which is something I find very desirable.

At work I used a Thinkpad and have to agree that they seem very solidly built and I love the pointer stick vs. touchpad. My opinion there only, others I talk to prefer the touch pad.

Also on the Toshiba's side is their screen. Comparatively it is quite large. You can find others with the same size or even bigger but few that are then coupled with the video capability (yep back to the gaming graphics which is the selling point for me).
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

hey thanks everyone for replying, i appreciate it alot

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    It all depends on how much you want to spend. :-) For me, I have a HP pavilion ze1230. AMD Mobile Athlon XP, 256 MB Ram, 15" display. I use it mostly for programming. It goes everywhere I go. The only thing I sometimes regret is not having a floppy dive. It's been treating me pretty well for the money. It doesn't crash, it's not slow, plays dvd's flawlessly, etc. Check out ZDNet for some good reviews of all makes of laptops. Bottom line, consider what kind of use it will get and how much you can spend.

Better yet:
    ===============

AMD Mobile Athlon XP
    Processor clock speed 1.5GHz
    Display diagonal size 15 in.
    System memory installed 256MB
    Rated hard disk capacity 20GB
    System weight 6.6 lbs.
    Dimensions (HWD in inches) 1.3x12.5x10.5
    Model first available June 24, 2002
    Graphics memory and chipset Shared (16MB) Via Twister K
    Warranty on parts/labor 1 year/1 year
    Drive bay 1 DVD/CD-RW

These specs courtesy ZDNet

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

I bought a ThinkPad off of half.com for $350. I'm running a 333mhz processor, 128mb ram and 18gig harddrive. I run a dual boot system with linux mandrake 8.2 and Windows XP and it rocks. I have around 1000 mp3's and 100 mpegs and its still running like a champ. :-)

It really depends on how much you would like to spend and what the laptop will be used for. As the market gives you thousands of options set the minimal specification you think you`ll need and add some 10 - 20% on top of that for future and set you maximum amount you are prepared to spend. And then only search your local dealers as the stock is changing all the time. Bad point about laptops is that you`ll get half the computer for double the money but if you need to be mobile that`s the price to be paid for ..... good luck

I have toshiba celeron 1800 series but this laptop is a bit hard if you wanna install *nix specially for X configuration..(I've tried Free BSD 4.5/4.7 on this laptop and I've got headache..).

Try IBM think pad is really good for *nix...I've got IBM T22 (running dualbooting RH linux and Fre BSD 4.7) and it's very easy to install..specially for BSD
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 900mhz, 256 MB Ram, 16 MB Nvidia Geforce Go video -- I've had it for over a year and a half, runs pretty nice. I've had Mandrake, Redhat, and currently Slackware on here - I have had no hardware compatibility issues, and with a little work have gotten every single thing to work fine. As for the BSD's I've heard of people running FreeBSD on some Inspirons -- plus Nvidia is officially supporting FreeBSD now.