Thread: Active Ports Tool

Active Ports Tool

Hey all,

I found this little freeware application for W2k or NT that let you know what ports are open on your machine and what application is associated with that open port.

It is basically a GUI based fport.

http://www.webattack.com/get/activeports.shtml
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

umm cant you just run a port scan or is it like a program to see what your cnnected to right now?

But what good is a port scanner when someone configures a trojan to listen on a non suspicious port?

When you run this app it will show you the application that is opening that port. Also, a port scanner wont show you what applications are associated with established sessions. This tool will which is handy.

Eg:
    port 8080 --> iexporer.exe
    port 21 ---> CUTEftp.exe
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

I run Kerio Personal Firewall on my XP machine and it does something very similar as well as alerting you when an application wants to connect out. Double clicking the tray icon brings up a GUI very similar to this application.

Hackerdan - a port scan won't tell you what process is bound to the port.

O ok thanks guys but isint it the same thing as runing a netstat command? I know like it wont tell you what program but for most cases isint the same thing? J/w

Great tool. Tiny personal firewall also has the same cappablity, I think most firewalls do.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Ports and applications...

I like to use fport from Foundstone and TCPView from sysinternals, which shows this information in real-time. They're great tools.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Active Ports :: http://www.protect-me.com/index.htm

No netstat is not the same as an application like this.
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...