Thread: How to find the location of the directory of c header files

How to find the location of the directory of c header files

I was installing VMWare 3.2 on my RedHat 8.0(which is on my second hard drive, on my first hard drive, I have windows xp on it!). during the process, I got a message: "What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernal? [/usr/src/linux/include]". I thought the path [/usr/src/linux/include] should be fhe default path for the linux. but some days ago, I updated my RedHat 8.0. and I got a new kernal. so the current running kernal changed! but How could I find if? now there are nothing under /usr/src. I searched the *.h, I found kernal.h under /boot. when I gave the path /boot, I got the message: "the path "/boot" is an exiting direcotry, but it does not contian at least one of these directories "linux", "asm", "net" as expected."

I went to /usr/include , I got the following message:

cpp0: warning: changing search order for system directory "/usr/include"
    cpp0: warning: as it has already been specified as a non-system directory
    The directory of kernel headers (version 2.4.9-9) does not match your running
    kernel (version 2.4.18-17.8.0). Even if the module were to compile
    successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.

what should I do? anyone please give me some idea! thanks
    I\'d found my best love, but I didn\'t treasure her. I felt regretful after that. It\'s the ultimate pain in the world. If God can give me a chance, I will tell her three word: \"I love you\". If God wanna give me a time limit, I\'ll say this love will last 10 thousand years!

How to find the location of the directory of c header files

I was installing VMWare 3.2 on my RedHat 8.0(which is on my second hard drive, on my first hard drive, I have windows xp on it!). during the process, I got a message: "What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernal? [/usr/src/linux/include]". I thought the path [/usr/src/linux/include] should be fhe default path for the linux. but some days ago, I updated my RedHat 8.0. and I got a new kernal. so the current running kernal changed! but How could I find if? now there are nothing under /usr/src. I searched the *.h, I found kernal.h under /boot. when I gave the path /boot, I got the message: "the path "/boot" is an exiting direcotry, but it does not contian at least one of these directories "linux", "asm", "net" as expected."

I went to /usr/include , I got the following message:

cpp0: warning: changing search order for system directory "/usr/include"
    cpp0: warning: as it has already been specified as a non-system directory
    The directory of kernel headers (version 2.4.9-9) does not match your running
    kernel (version 2.4.18-17.8.0). Even if the module were to compile
    successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.

what should I do? anyone please give me some idea! thanks
    I\'d found my best love, but I didn\'t treasure her. I felt regretful after that. It\'s the ultimate pain in the world. If God can give me a chance, I will tell her three word: \"I love you\". If God wanna give me a time limit, I\'ll say this love will last 10 thousand years!

It will depend where you untarred the kernel source at. Usually you should untar them to the /usr/src directory. You need to locate where you untarred the 2.4.18-17.8.0 kernel or download and possibly recompile from source once again.