can figure this out/help now

Thread: can figure this out/help now

Banned

Angry can figure this out/help now

if you'd seen my previous post about the IRQ... i finally managed to install the card... i know it works 'cause i can ping 127.0.01. but that's where it ends... everything i see in windows ME is working properly i'm trying to hook this computer up for my landlord into standard linksys router based on DHCP. i set all the settings for windows for "automatically obtain IP". the router link lights up the same as the other two computers on the network... but when i start IE it gets stuck dettecting proxy settings (which i set on automatic discovery) ... i have no idea at this point what could be wrong ... it was easier to set up my debian system .. help

one more thing the light on the NIC is on but it's not blinking

You couldn't post this in the first thread you started? Sorry, I don't think that making another thread about the same subject as the other thread you started is right. Just trying to help, sorry.
    Space For Rent.. =]

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    I have a Linksys router. I, too had never had a problem setting up a wireless network. However, for me, I had to end up calling Linksys technical support. Apparently, the problem was not mine but theirs. They indicated they had some sort error in their drivers or whatever. I really don't remember what the problem was. But, like you, I was sure I had done everything correctly. So give them a call - they are pretty good about wait times.

Linksys - Tech Support

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

What kind of connection do you have? If it's a PPPoE connection (like my DSL account at home), you have to put the username/password in the router and specify PPPoE. Otherwise your user/pass from the computer isn't making it to the ISP. Plug your connection straight into your computer (bypassing the router) and see if you connect. If you can, the problem is in a router setting. Usually the less you do to a router the better, unless you know what you're doing ;-)
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

str34m3r
    Just because you can ping 127.0.0.1 doesn't necessarily mean that you have the network card installed correctly. Since 127.0.0.1 is a loopback interface, it's probably emulated by the operating system and has nothing to do with the network card. It would probably still work even if you took the network card out. Ceck again to make sure you have the correct drivers and if you're sure that you have the right ones, try visiting the website at 192.168.1.100. Most routers and cable modems designed for home users run a web page on that IP address that allows users to configure the device. If you can reach that page, then you're one step closer to an internet connection. Also, run winipcfg (I don't know if it's called something different in ME) to see if you actually got an IP address from DHCP.

The Linksys routers (at least current ones) are at 192.168.1.1, not .100 - others might be that way, I don't really know! :-)

Try loading/pinging 192.168.1.1 and see if you're prompted by the router. You would then know your network card works and can at least see the router.
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

Hmmm are you sure you got an ip adresse???
    start/run type command and then type ipconfig in the dos box if you get 169.254.?.? you will know the problem is the cable or the nic. Else contact linksys

Banned

Wink well here it is

network is working...

the only thing i had to do was to run 'home networking wizard', which did absolutely nothing. all the settings stayed the same; everything stayed the same but the network is runnig

i apologize to all of you who had to deal w/ this dumbass question and feel sorry for everyone who ever had to deal w/ a piece of **** like windowsME

if you don't have it yet INSTALL LINUX, preferably Debian and if you can't hack that at least steal some old CD of NT or win2k from your office

over and out

Banned
    Set your routers internal address as your default gateway.

GG