Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When is a virus not a virus?

Maybe they can replicate, as in a medical virus, but only within the host. The virus does not have the inherent capability (like a computer worm does) to spread to a new host.

Just my opinion though... Can't believe I'm this interested in this topic... they're all bad!
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

But a Virus can spread to a new host, it's low-tech, but it can spread. A person can transmit an infected file to another user, via infected storage media. A disk from one machine to another(sneaker net), in fact it could spread rapidly depending on the file that is being passed around.

Cheers:
    DjM

Maybe they can replicate, as in a medical virus, but only within the host. The virus does not have the inherent capability (like a computer worm does) to spread to a new host.
    oh, ya, thats why AIDS, Influenza, smallpox, and the common cold are not at all contagious, right? HEY, GREAT NEWS, EVERYBODY!!!! NO MORE CONDOMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

I didn't say that. I said the virus isn't INHERENTLY cabaple of replicating. OF COURSE any human interaction can spread a virus, and in the same manner somebody can transfer a virus to another machine via some sort of storage media. But realize that human interaction was involved. Somebody had to do something to spread the virus. A human transferred it, the virus didn't just jump over. For that reason it is still a virus. If it can replicate to another host on its own it is a worm.
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

IMHO, a Virus is a piece of malicious software made to replicate itself and cause a form of distruction or unwanted effects with the intent thereof. It can be used (like allenb1963 said) to gain entry to a system or to let the attacker into the system again, but overall it's intent is to cause damage to the system.

Oh, and Virii can spread, but not on it's own correct? Unless the user sends it multiple times to multiple people, it can't spread. When a virus start's spreading on it's own, it becomes a worm, correct? I'm not entirely sure, so if someone can fill me in, Thanks!
    Space For Rent.. =]

some medical viruses are airborne, which is a direct metaphor for routine network traffic responsible for virus proliferation. regular inbibing of usually harmless, yet essential matter, which the virus takes advantage of to spread. you dont have to do anything to get the flu. except breath. you dont have anything to catch a computer virus, just regular network traffic.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

And as I said earlier, I do think a virus could cause harm to machines on a network without actually replicating. In that scenario I would still consider it to be just a virus. But if that virus spreads across the network it would be a worm.

Again I reference dictionary.com:

worm

<networking, security> (From "Tapeworm" in John Brunner's novel "The Shockwave Rider", via XEROX PARC) A program that propagates itself over a network, reproducing itself as it goes. Compare virus - http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=virus

Nowadays the term has negative connotations, as it is assumed that only crackers write worms.

Personally, I wouldn't compare a person breathing to network traffic. A physical virus may be contagious, but the other person has to breathe in or contact the virus in order to catch it. In the same way, a computer has to accept some sort of media or network traffic to accept it. A standalone computer is immune to worms unless someone physically installs one.

Are all worms viruses... yes.
    Are all viruses worms... no.

I think in all this back and forth we've lost sight of what I originally said. A virus CAN spread, but I'd call it a worm at that point. Does that mean it's not a virus? No.

Bottom line is that I just don't think that the spreading should be part of the definition of virus. All viruses do not spread. Spreading CAN be a part of the definition of worm.
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

Talking Virus Definition...

I'm Wondering then what would a Program, placed on a network remotley, without authorization, that continually sends specified classified data to the Designer But is Essentially invisible and does not replicate But Has A.I. Qualities to evade detection be Called??

Just Curious

Re: Virus Definition...

Originally posted here by jedgren
    I'm Wondering then what would a Program, placed on a network remotley, without authorization, that continually sends specified classified data to the Designer But is Essentially invisible and does not replicate But Has A.I. Qualities to evade detection be Called??

Just Curious
    I believe these programs would be classified as Trojans or Backdoor's.

Cheers:
    DjM

Cool Thanks..