Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When is a virus not a virus?

I thought virus was something that made copies of it and you had to run another program for it to work. But on the other hand worms can do it themselves right? Or am i lost?

Originally posted here by hackerdan
    I thought virus was something that made copies of it and you had to run another program for it to work. But on the other hand worms can do it themselves right? Or am i lost?
    Nope, that's my basic understanding.

I think I've put in more than my two cents woth on this one, and frankly, I don't have much to spare! It's just semantics anyway, but thanks all for the input. On to bigger and better things!
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

Old Fart
    OK...we all agree that a virus has no real "set" definition. And I dare suggest that a worm is merely a virus that is a bit higher on the evolutionary ladder than its less dexterious cousins. But I have to ask you guys....am I the only one who sees a dangerous precedent resulting from this new trend? Seriously...using a EULA to make the introduction and propagation of a virus LEGAL is scary if it manages to stand up in court.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

It is scary, but I think the lesson to be learned is to actually read the EULA instead of just clicking yes. Unfortunately all the people who have my email address that won't read this will end up sending it to me. Doesn't sound fair, but unfortunately it does sound legal. It is scary. What happened after clicking Yes on the EULA? What I'm trying to find out is how was the program run?
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com