AntiOnline DoS'ed?

Thread: AntiOnline DoS'ed?

Question AntiOnline Down?

Is it just me or did the whole AntiOnline network just go down for an hour or so? Couldn't access my subdomain forwarding, couldn't get the website up, IRC was down... What just happened?
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Yea, I lost it to for about an hour. A trace route showed packets being dropped at a router within the UUNET network. I think it was their problem, not AO's.

Cheers:
    DjM

so when do we lynch UUNET?
    we can't have things like this happening all the time now....
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

Funny thing was, I had IRC set to auto-retry. I can see several times where it connected and then disconnected because of ping timeouts. That's why I thought it was a DoS attack.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

I think it had something to do with DNS because all of the DNS servers that I tried could not resolve www.antionline.com or antionline.com... I don't think it was a DoS attack though.

El Diablo

I'm using Microsoft's DNS server and it was able to resolve the address. I don't think that would make much sense anyway because the site wasn't down long enough to dissappear from DNS caches. Even then, until either AntiOnline sold its name or the IP was reassigned, DNS caches would still recieve it as part of their hosts file. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was able to ping www.antionline.com and it resolved the IP, but the responses all timed out. That would mean that my ISP's DNS server still had the IP, right?
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

I was also having difficulty getting in for a while,but I came in through the tools section and then clicked on home,and it worked fine,but when I went straight to http://www.antionline.com,I would get to index.php and it wouldn't go any farther.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

Could someone have done some ol' fashioned DNS poisoning??
    Analog = Classical
    Digital = Techno

Not unless they hacked every primary nameserver on the planet simply to replace AntiOnline's entry. These servers have redefined the limits of redundancy. That would be kind of like hacking the NSA because you forgot your mother's telephone number. There are far more effective methods than DNS poisoning with far less risk involved.