Ethical question.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethical question.

Ethical question.

Okay, I'm scrolling the web happily when I come across this.

www.k-lite.tk

Now, for those of you to scared to click links, thats a program based on Kazaa that basically uses the Kazaa network without having ANY of the Ad's that Kazaa has.

Now what I was wondering is, If its connected to Kazaa, Then its lack of Ad's, etc, Is surely stealing off of Kazaa? Would that count as "Hacking" perhaps? I mean, Technically its taking away revenue from Kazaa...
    But then again, the internet is technically a "Free" society, and Ad's to it is technically stealing our free space...
    So what do we think?
    Raphael spoke, saying Caine, son of Adam, son of Eve, your brother Abel forgives you your sin will you not repent, and accept the mercy of the Almighty?\" And Caine said to Raphael \"Not by Abel`s forgiveness, but mine own, will be forgiven.\"
    http://www.antionline.com/sig.php?id=228

Well I dunno about that, I would have to download it,.... but I guess is called hacking but im not sure
    [glowpurple]LilDraganon the power of the @[/glowpurple]
    [glowpurple]I am the one who trains like a maniac to have the power to force his opponent body into the shape of a pretzel and gently pin him down to the mat so his mommy can come and cuttle him![/glowpurple]

No, KazaaLite is basically Kazaa with a few moderations in it. Past issue's of Kazaa has spyware on it, and I guess someone decided to make a KazaaLite program that basically take's out the spyware and the bugs. I don't think that is the original creators site though, I think that person wanted credit for it or something, because that isn't KazaaLite's website.
    Space For Rent.. =]

You are right Spyder32, this link is for kazaalite that is directly affiliated with kazaa. The other site states in their terms of use that it is not in any way affiliated with kazaa.

I use kazaa lite rather than have to clear out spyware all the time.

So this means?

The Kazaalite I'm using, IS stealing/ Hacking or whatever, BUT there is a Kazaa Lite that actually IS Kazaa related, and thus not hacking?
    Does the Kazaalite not hacking have less features or something, I know I should read the webpage, but I'm busy right now..
    It seem's strange that kazaa would ALLOW someone to use there network for free...
    Raphael spoke, saying Caine, son of Adam, son of Eve, your brother Abel forgives you your sin will you not repent, and accept the mercy of the Almighty?\" And Caine said to Raphael \"Not by Abel`s forgiveness, but mine own, will be forgiven.\"

Ninja Code Monkey
    Hrm...it's funny that the ethical dilemma is using software that doesn't generate ad revenue for kazaa and not the pirating while using the software.....
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

its also funny he has no time to read the site but has time to read a responce from someone on here...and maybe im confused to, but how is kazaa related to hacking again?

The question

The point was that Kazaa have made a peer to peer network, for themselves, to generate revenue. If someone then comes along and uses that network, WITHOUT giving anything to Kazaa, surely that counts as stealing.

It relates to hacking because thats what hacking IS, Using your computer in a way that disrupts someone elses security. If you hack into a business computer, and do any form of damage, you're causing that company to lose money, and thats whats bad about it.. If no money was related, there would be almost NO hackers.. Just dumb script kiddies who like to cause trouble for a laugh...

At least thats my take on it...

This is kinda why its in general chitchat, I didn't want it to be about stealing the software itself, Because thats obviously "wrong", The question is about the ownership of something that has no physical dimension. The Kazaa network is made up of US, so should we be allowed to use it for free? BUT, it was made BY Kazaa, so shouldn't they get something for it?

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but thats somewhat what I was thinking when I posted this..

(By the by, I had time to read and reply, but my wife wanted me to go out, so I had to go. Clicking that link and waiting for it to load etc, would have taken a lot more time than just replying, since afterwards I'd have had to reply anyway. I'm about to go read it now...)

hmmm, ok, so you download kazaa (which is free) and people use it to download software that actually costs money for free... umm ok.

"It relates to hacking because thats what hacking IS, Using your computer in a way that disrupts someone elses security. If you hack into a business computer, and do any form of damage, you're causing that company to lose money, and thats whats bad about it.. If no money was related, there would be almost NO hackers.. Just dumb script kiddies who like to cause trouble for a laugh... "

hmmm, now there your deffinatly wrong, hacking is not using your computer to disrupt security and or make a company lose money....do you work for the media? thats called cracking, hacking would be the one where you do it because of curiousity/to see if you can and for wanting to learn how it works, the original hackers in the 60s werent causing damage, they were finding new ways to do things people take for granted now and creating UNIX, and as far as that money thing goes , iv never been paid for anything and neither have my friends, i do it because i enjoy it and because its fun. and as far as there being no hackers if money wasnt involved...wait seriously are you high? for real you can tell me, man come on where are you getting this thing about money, the originals in the 60s werent being paid, unless they were hired after they did something great, its not for money and if it wasnt for hackers poking around at things and finding ways around problems computer security would be **** and half the things computers do today wouldnt happen. the oldschool hackers found better and more efficient ways to do things and solve problems, not break into company computers for money.

oops almost forgot, programmers hack software almost daily when fixing problems or bugs (its a common misconception that you have to go online to hack when you dont have to, you can be a software hacker).
    i dont think there breaking into anything but code that they are fixing, and im pretty sure no company loses money from that either.

Originally posted here by gore
    hmmm, ok, so you download kazaa (which is free) and people use it to download software that actually costs money for free... umm ok.
    Couldn't agree with you more. Why worry about "stealing" ad revenues going to the company when all you use the software for is to steal copyrighted material?

Gore... Good job not letting that one slide by!
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com