Thread: LMHOST.SAM file..?

Question LMHOST.SAM file..?

1st of all i must say this site is really good. well i've a question concerning lmhost.sam file. I came to know that IN WIN98 environment,if some one has my ip and i've shared ports enabled than he can hack in to my system when you've no firewall configured. Well due to some reason i can't install any firewall but can i protect my self by upgrading to win2000 pro. Also one more question that Do uploading others ip in lmhost.sam file also work when ports (other than netbios ports) are opened like port 80,23 or some commen ports. Hope for some good response.

If you dont have file sharing enabled and you dont make the mistake of installing a trojan, they can probe your ports until they are blue in the face and they wont be able to get in. Disable file sharing and keep your anti-virus software up to date - simple.

lmhosts.sam is a sample file, JUST LIKE IT SAYS IN ITS COMMENTS

In order to make it have ANY EFFFECT, it is necessary to make a file called lmhosts in either your windows directory (win9x) or winnt\system32\drivers\etc (winnt, win2k etc)

Note for users of Windows: Files do not need to have a dot in their names, nor do they need to end in a well-known extension. Not even on Windows

Just pointing this point out. Forgive me if I'm insulting your intelligence.

Some versions of notepad have a problem saving files without an extension, get a sensible editor instead (or rename the file after saving it)

slarty has it right the dot is not needed. Win 3x to 98 SE had a problem with local networks and in most cases the SAM uas used to define local servers on a network because Win look over the entire networks not just the local one and it slowed connections down especally in Outlook. W2K out of the box and all patches is stable as for being secure make sure no process is running you do not need, IIS may be there and uses port 80 (http) a patch is there but if you don't have it Code Red is most likely on your computer, there are other ways into the system then netbios, try doing a netstat see what hosts your attached to and who is attached to you. In short a port should not be open unless you are using it do a search here on what process uses what port.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg