Linux... HELP?!!?

Thread: Linux... HELP?!!?

Linux... HELP?!!?

I'm currently running Windows 98 SE, and I want to switch to linux. I have a copy of Mandrake 6.0, but before I install it I have a few problems. In our house, we run a winNT network and we share a cable modem as our internet. Instead of using a Proxy server to share the internet among out computers, we use a Wingate (wingate server ----------> winagte client) and our computer are connected that way. Is there any way to hook my linux computer up to this network or have it connect to the wingate server and connect to the internet that way? Any help is apprciated...
    \"I think people that are going to commint crimes.... they just shouldn\'t have guns!\" - George W. Bush

... good call georgie

Mandrake 6.0 is a liitle out of date but according to the wingate developers linux clients can use a wingate as a proxy quite easily by manually changing the linux boxes proxy settings..
    Have a look at http://www.xasp.co.uk/software/wingate/

why dont you use the linux box as a proxy/firewall/router instead of windows?

Wow mandrake 6.0! My first mandrake version was 6.5 and that's a couple of years old. You might want to download the latest version of linux mandrake from your favorite .edu FTP server :-) I can promise you the installation is a lot easier and it will be a lot more compatible with your clients on your network.

Hi Djarson... In my opinion you should switch from using a Wingate proxy to a Network Address Translation (NAT) program on your server. If you want to keep it simple (i.e. Windows server), I think Win98SE and above have Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), which is a really easy to use NAT program.
    The advantage of NAT is that you don't have to set up each internet application on each client individually, all you do is set up the NAT program, then configure each client's TCP/IP configuration, then just about every internet app. should work without needing any configuration at all.

My LAN configuration at home is a Windows ME ICS server and 4 SuSE linux clients. Again, the Linux internet apps needed no configuration.

If you want to make it more interesting, try a Linux server. We have just gotten ours to work with SuSE, but it was a gruelling night :-)

Some great how-to's are here: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/

Good luck!

'Copter