Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gov.t getting h4x0red

Question Gov.t getting h4x0red

story from the register

Why do we hear about the gov.t getting hacked so much? Shouldn't this be a very rare thing? I mean... IMO I think you'd hear more about private parties being attacked than the gov.t. Although this guy's foreign... (why a brit... they are okay with us right? dont hate americans?) I duno just... seems like u hear about the .mil getting hacked way more than it should be... you'd think with the military's resources they'd give this crap higher priority. Anyone here know why it doesn't seem to be that way?

IMO I think .mils get attacked more because they are high-profile hacks, that are guaranteed to get someone lots of attention, very fast. I mean you break into a business, they loose a million dollars, no big deal, everyone makes and looses money on large scales these days, but somone shutting down a Goverment machine or swiping some 4 star generals email password seems to be a big thing. And you're right, with the money the military has to throw around buildling nukes, new planes and such, you'd think they would take just a few million to spend on making their computer systems a bit more secure.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

America is a good target for anything because we like to get involved with everything. Sure for hacker and the like Private party hacking would be a good target but imagine the feeling of getting into one of the worlds strongest armed forces and Intelligence communities and roaming around freely getting information and such.

Its no suprise that we are targeted for this and i believe the military does have a lot of money poored into security but for every lockdown there is a way around. What baffles me is that it took a year for them to catch this guy. I mean if they want to hire some civilians to work on security sign me up
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Banned
    wow 80 years in jail. LOL and all the guy did was use a remote admin tool to gain root and get info. I also heard somewhere that this guy did a few attacks cause he didn't like the whole U.S. and Iraq thing. I dunno which is more sad, A 30 something year old s.kiddie or the fact that he'll probably be locked up for 80 years.

lol Spy... yeah me too... my contract's almost up!
    Analog = Classical
    Digital = Techno

the gov't just OK'd a bill that would supply some 900 million dollars towards new cybersecurity training for FBI agents... hmmm... sounds good to me.... might want to get a gov't job ;-)
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

tampa... would you pass the UA to even be considered for it? hehehehe... j/p
    Analog = Classical
    Digital = Techno

LOL and all the guy did was use a remote admin tool to gain root and get info
    Last time I checked that was against the law? Times what was it, 96 systems? That is alot of counts (offenses), alot of counts * small sentence = big sentence. Ever since Sept. 11, the military has been saying they take a very dim view on people compromising their systems (wanting to say it is deemed a terrorist attack, there were many articles about it on security focus, I will try to find some of them and post them here in an edit), script kiddie or not, the result was the same, compromised systems.

80 years is harsh, but the way the legal system is in the US, he will probably be out in a couple of years. Dunno, personally I feel that the old cliche about not dancing if you don't want to pay the band comes to mind...

I suspect that Syini666 is pretty much on the right track, those .mil's and .gov's draw alot of attention from any wannabe out there or even the skilled who are out to make a point (protesting attacks on Iraq, protesting military in saudi, protesting support of israel, and on and on and on)...

/nebulus

EDIT: Ok, finding it is turning out to be harder than I thought, have only found vague references so far to it, will keep looking. I know it was on securityfocus though, if anyone else remembers, help clue me in, I know I saw it, just I guess to old to get the gears in the brain turning...

Bush Adviser Warns Cyberterrorists (Elsewhere)
    url: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2002Feb13.html
    Last modified on: 2002-02-14
    (article appears expired and washington post wants money to look at it)

There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

sort of a "David and Goliath" type of situation. lol.
    Analog = Classical
    Digital = Techno

i bet they just hire the guy to work for us and then he leaks information or Britain uses him for intelligence. rofl
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here