How do you Kill a process on a MAC?

Thread: How do you Kill a process on a MAC?

Unhappy How do you Kill a process on a MAC?

>I don't care for mac(s) much but my g/f has an imac and i was wondering???
    >
    > How does one go about ending an application/process that has no exit function?
    >
    > no control-alt-delete :-)
    >
    >Thanx Guy/Gals!!!
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...
    Share on Google+

To force quit and application you could consider the following :

Applicable to your moderm Mac OS's (8.x,9.x, and OS X) : Should you have a hung app and want to kill it right away, use Control+option+escape

Applicable only to OS X : This one only works on X because X is a *nix variant where as the others were independently developed. Anyhow, open a terminal. Get the list of processes by typing "ps -ax" (without the quotes of course). Once you have found the PID (Process ID, is as near as I can tell always on the left side of the "ps -ax" output.) of what you want to stop, use "kill -1 PID"
    This should try to stop the app gracefully. You could just kill the app without any grace whatsoever by changing the kill command to "kill -9 PID"
    For more information on those two commands you have just run, use "man ps" and "man kill" to get the respective details on each.

Hope this helps, and regards.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Share on Google+

Also in MacOS 9 and below, through a shareware program you can have almost as much control over the processes as in MacOS X. Mac Army Knife has a process viewer that will allow you to see what extensions/system files are running, and give you the ability to terminate them. Their might be other programs out there that do similar functions..., but I dunno 'cause I strictly use MacOS X these days (I'm a CLI junky).

A thing to remember about Mac OS 9 and below is that when you do have to force quit a program your systems performance is degraded because of the memory structure, even more so . So if you have a program lock-up you should reboot soon afterward, since you are more likely to experience problems. This is the reason that Apple decided to scrap the OS they have been using since 1984ish and move to Mac OS X, which is an apple from a completely different tree...

I'm sorry that you don't much care for Macs..., but I won't preach to you how the world should be Mac only. They have their problems, just as PC's with Windows installed on them have their problems... But, that is all I am going to say, 'cause I'm only commenting on your statement, and not writing a manifesto...

Donal
    Share on Google+

Throw it out the ****ing window, that should shut some processes down.
    Share on Google+

thanx a lot guy/gals? i appreciate it :-)

[Brad: I would, but it's my g/f's computer.]
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...
    Share on Google+

Go Brad! hahahahahaha
    Analog = Classical
    Digital = Techno
    Share on Google+

Take the 40oz out of the cup holder and reboot!
    ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!
    Share on Google+

in X you can also ctrl click on the app in the dock. when the dockling pops up hit option. this will change quit to force quit.
    Keep Working It
    Share on Google+