windows 2000 slowdown on network event / connection

Thread: windows 2000 slowdown on network event / connection

windows 2000 slowdown on network event / connection

hi people,
    im having a problem with windows 2000 on my dell computer, i used to have xp on it but ran into problems as it is not a legit version as i cant aford it

i put windows 2000 (non legit too) on the box and whenever any sort of network activity occured (like dialup or a lan connection) the whole system would grind to a halt and id wait at least 5 minutes for it to do anything, then the modem would hang up on a timeout i think

i got task manager up after a while and founds that a program 'services.exe' a windows component had somehow got 99% of my CPU time and was making the system run extremely slow

the computer is a dell optiplex gx110 (p3-667, 256 meg ram, voodoo 3 PCI, integrated network and an external modem and all the other usual things from a generic brand onboard), i dont get this prob with XP or win 98 and im just wondering what could be causing this to happen?

Well first off buy a ligit copy of your OS, you get hacked copies of an OS and want to fix the problem? Get real this site is not about hacking software and getting something for nothing, you deserve to have the connect go dead. Get legal on the OS Linux is free, you will not get help on non-ligit software here!
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

point taken, but just one thing

yes i do see your point about this site not being a place to find fixes for pirate software, but not everyone can afford the 3 or 4 hundred dollars AU to buy this sort of stuff, specially on a student budget, i know there is a student upgrade version of XP pro but ive heard plenty of bad things about the XP upgrade going horribly wrong....

i have been considering switching to linux / open source only but im tentative in doing this as im not really experienced enough with installation of programs and software under linux, i know that you can use wine to get some programs to run under linux but the need for an office style application (i have a LEGIT academic copy of office xp pro) and i dont really want to see the moeny i savedup in order to buy it become wasted if it cant be run under wine in redhat

also i only have redhat 7.1 and a 56k connection so am unable to get redhat 8 which is what im looking for, if someone could enlighten me on where its possible to buy redhat 8 in australia (not online though) and if its possible to run office xp in wine or not it would be helpful

and forget the previous question about win 2k, ive gone back to legit '98 due to the problems

hmmm, maybe ur dialup account is "non legit too " lol ....
    well, i once faced such a problem, then descovered that my modem was the problem "something wrong with it "sp i had to change it and everything went smooth, try this if u can afford a new modem.

and believe me , hacked OS & other software comes with a lots of bugs and errors ... ask me i live in the ME !!

so try using an original and ligal copy of OS.
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?

Well, not that I condone pirating software, but I have had the same problem with Windows 2000 that is 100% legitimate. You might want to look and make sure your drivers are up to date (check dell and the manufacturers web site). There are several sites that are dedicated to making tweaks to windows2k (www.regedit.com, blkviper.com, among tons of others, look on google), have a go through those and see if you can't do some stuff to speed it up. The biggest thing that comes to mind for me, is it was the speed (or should I say slowness) of the m$ stuff that I was logging into that was causing me the biggest grief (domain login) and not so much my box, so take a look at what m$ stuff you are running, and see if you can't do without some of it.

I have and the box seems to run much faster, especially without logging into our domain.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

just to tie up the loose ends here..

finally sorted out the problem i was having, this post is for people who have been having similar troubles, ive looked at other forums on other sites and its a widespread problem all originating from the services.exe part of win2k

what i did to sort the problem out was disable dns client and dhcp client, along with any other services that are invked by the services.exe application, least now i have some sort of workable system until i get redhat 8 and yet another new computer so it will run