Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hotmail hoax

Anyone can tell it's fake
    Well, any of *us* can tell it's fake, but that doesn't mean *anybody* can tell. My girlfriend got this message about her Yahoo account a couple of weeks ago, and fortunately we just happened to be chatting on messenger at the time it came in. (So it's not limited to Hotmail.) She was going to do it, and it took me about 15 minutes to explain to her satisfaction why her account wasn't going to be deleted. She's not exactly a techie, but she has picked up a few things from being around me, so she's definitely more aware than a lot of people out there.

what is the "hoaxer" trying to gain by sending these messages
    Interesting question. The nearest I can figure is that they're harvesting e-mail addresses for spam. I guess maybe they're hoping the mail will eventually come back to the originator with 20 or 30 new addresses in the header. I'm temped to say that vanman might be onto something, but the fact that my g/f got it on her Yahoo means that the hoax isn't limited to Hotmail users.

By posting stuff like this you're just spreading the **** and feuling the hoax
    How the hell is talking about something that's going around fueling the hoax? If anything, this is helping to expose the hoax. I've never seen, heard, or smelled a topic that was too dangerous to talk about.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Man, this is sooooooooooo old. check astalavista.com for another 200 lame ways to "hack" hotmail. Man, if people fall for that crap.... uuuhhmm, never mind. I'm just a designer.
    Bleh.