Thread: Real life To funny

Real life To funny

Ok I find humor in young minds attempting to find out info. Guess best advice I can give is stay in school study hard learn the structure of how things are run, but this PM takes the cake and gets no frosting.

"brandon64_99
    ive looked at your profile, and you are god. I am requesting your help, ive gained user level access on an IBM AS/400 running the OS/400. Im trying to gain exec/root/admin privleages, how would I go about doing this? Thanks in advance."

My response is I'm no God, you have user access then go ask Admin for root access after you have finished a few more years of schooling. So is this an atempt to flatter me? I have a fan now LOL geez the private messages I get. Funny to funny respect the privlages you are assigned they were so for good reason, not everyone can have root access to play around computers are a toll for business and such not some toy.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

lol... not going to fall for flattery? C'mon!

What cracks me up the most is that it's an accomplishment to have "gained user level access" - and then to extrapolate that with just a little brown-nosing you can have someone tell you how to get root? Ha. Hell, I've only been on the site a couple of days and know better than to ask dumb questions like that!
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com

I think that teenagers here, should go to school and be on antionline. Its true that we come here to learn things, but we still have to go to school and get that education so that our knowledge can count. I am trying to say that if we come here and learn everything that we can learn and be the best at something. That knowledge would be useless if you have no degree or education on records behind it.

Straying away from the original subject alittle.
    Im not sure that sticking out years of college/uni or whatever completing multiple degrees is always in the best interest of someone trying to get into this industry.

In the UK at least, out of all the many computer graduates only a small percent actually get a job relating to there ammediate knowledge base.

My advice would be do what i've done, jam your way into an IT company using nothing but pure enthusiasum.

or maybe i just got lucky?
    \"I can resist everything, except temptation.\" - Oscar Wilde

Banned
    Damn, finally someone asks an OS400-question, and you guys make fun of him...
    Stupid question though... if you ever find a way to gain admin on an AS400, let me know
    The closest I ever got was displaying a list of user account names...

Hey Palemoon, I checked out your profile too, and he's right you are a GOD

/me bows down before you.

Cheers:
    DjM

Negative

if you ever find a way to gain admin on an AS400
    Here is how I gained QSECOFR authority (root) on an AS/400. I'm not sure if you would call it social engineering. persistance, or what.

As a network tech working on Novell and NT servers I had little experience with a 400 and asked a lot of questions of one of the programmers who also happened to have QSECOFR authority. I would ask if I could watch as he created user accounts, asked about what the different commands were, and since he was very proud of his abilities with a green screen he shared a lot.

One day I asked how I could learn to do that and he was more than happy to set me up a training account and give me access to their training library which consisted of libraries on the 400, audio tapes, workbooks etc. After going through all the courses I asked if I could have some authority on the machine and an area to practice playing around and he had no problem "taking me under his wing" and giving me a few lessons.

After I started getting pretty good with the 400 and had also been promoted to the network Admin I made the suggestion that heck seeing as I do all the security for the network servers, the e-mail server, and the citrix server it would sure be nice to do the security for the 400 too. Then one person could just take care of all those security requests at once, he could program and not worry about granting access. That went over like a lead balloon and the answer was a big NO.

I persisted though and over the course of almost a year I mentioned that possability over and over to him, to our boss, to our bosses boss and all of a sudden it did seem like a good idea and I gained QSECOFR access to the 400.

Gotta tell you it was a heck of a lot of fun getting into the guts of the system and poking around all the different commands. Within a few weeks I understood more about the security of the 400 than my programmer friend. Someday I might post how an accidental emergency shutdown was initiated on the 400 during heavy production time ,with no way to stop it. Boy gotta be more carefull poking around with some of those commands <grin>
    If you receive something that says \'Send this to everyone you know,\' pretend you don\'t know me.

this is kinda off topic but as long as we are in the flattery biussness i must say....magnoon,i luv the signature heh!!!!
    Seeing is Believing....

I've been meaning to say that next time I followed one of mangoon's posts.... awesome sig
    Mike Reilly
    bluebeard96@yahoo.com