Is Microsoft really that bad ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Microsoft really that bad ?

Lightbulb Is Microsoft really that bad ?

Hello everyone,

i was really wondering about this after so much debate with my friends also :

let's get everybody's views.
    thanks

Geez, not another ms thread. Well, I'll tell you one thing, the ppl who talk bad about it will probably get this thread extremely positive. AO is more than a little biased. It all depends. MS is bad for other companies that have to struggle to compete. Yes, they don't like working with companies that work with rivals, but who would? And if you're a home user, then endless amount of patches and updates, and security vulnerabilities, and 3rd party software needed to make windows secure is both frustrating and annoying. But, MS also makes products that greatly enhance life with computers for many people. They make computers easier, friendlier, and more productive. Seriously, would you like to tackle a linux install? Sometimes they can be painless, but sometimes they're hell. Windows streamlines the setup process, and provides convenient access to cricitcal functions of the computer. Yes, it is a slob, it crashes, it is insecure, but it is easy, it is fast, and it is getting better. MS makes some great products, I don't think they're too bad, they makes some great products, and that's what matters. Though the usefullness, and security of those products can be debated, you can't argue much over the ease of use windows brings to computers. And that is what is really important, getting stuff done, fast, efficiently, and well.

hey linux, that's da sort of view i go with, nice balanced answer.
    I hope i dont get negged in an MS fight here lol

Well, linuxlite, part of what you said was what I was going to say. So, I'll add that Microsoft makes a great mouse and a good keyboard. I also have xp on a computer and the wife has xp pro on hers.

Mostly I run an old 486 with Slack Linux but, if I need to get something done quickly and easily, I go to xp partly for the ease of the programs, as you mentioned and partly because I'm too stupid to buy a manual to really learn the Slackware. I'm a trial and error type person.

Yes.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

I started out to be a big MS advocate but as Linuxelite has stated so well , MS has a place in the contemporary fabric of todays PC movement. However as an Übergeek I can't help but be drawn into the amazing world of LINUX and UNIX. Once you begin to learn LINUX/UNIX your views are forever changed and you start to see Microsoft in a different light. I use w2k to manage a Network in my home for LAN/WAN . It's what I know. As I learn more about LINUX/UNIX I phase out my Microsoft Servers and replace them with LINUX RedHat.

LINUX is not for everyone. FreeBSD is for only a few. I try to make converts everyday but most people do not want to learn how to do anything but "point & click".

Microsoft may have captured the PC / enduser market to a degree, but it will never run the internet or win the hearts of programmers.

Case in point: The next time you log on to a web site check and see what Web Server software they are running. It's not MS. Its UNIX.

Well there you have it.. M$ is for poit and klick people without dreams..
    The Unix and Linux are for those who look for a challenge in their life and for a better understanding of computers and their powers...

well here is my version

win '95 = yucko
    win '98 = not too bad if theres nothing else around
    win 2k = awful services.exe bug that is around
    win xp = best yet but hate the activation

redhat 8 = good enough to warrant me buying another computer that will run it good enough, i know there is a text mode but even that would be pushing on the old redhat box, and besides, for 11 bucks $AU its a bargain even though its gonna cost me another system....

my first giant leap away from microsoft products, hopefully i wont trip and fall flat on my face

These are my collection of some interesting quotes that mention about/related to MS. I take them from an article at www.techrepublic.com and other sources. Sorry I don't have the links. If anybody have other quotes, please post here...

1981, Bill Gates, Microsoft chairman.
    "640K ought to be enough for anybody"

1989, "Programmers at Work" by Microsoft Press
    Interviewer: "Is studying computer science the best way to prepare to be a programmer?"
    Gates: "No, the best way to prepare is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."

1992, Microsoft, on the development of Windows NT
    "Windows NT addresses 2 Gigabytes of RAM which is more than any application will ever need"

1995, Focus Magazine
    "Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

Re: Is Microsoft really that bad ?

Originally posted here by truly_hacking
    Hello everyone,

i was really wondering about this after so much debate with my friends also :

let's get everybody's views.
    thanks

Well, everyone has their opinions about Microsoft, but I think that linuxelite said it best in his post.. For the average home user, Microsoft's OS's do the job fairly well because of their ease of usage. Completely disregarding the security aspect of this discussion, Microsoft really isn't that bad. For the non-average, power or business user, Microsoft products may not be the best alternative. Microsoft really does make some pretty good software, products that are easy to use for just about anyone. Looking now at the security aspect, Microsoft falls behind as compared to Linux.. If you are extremely concerned about security (which anyone should be these days), then you have to step back and take another look at Microsoft before you start using their products. If you can keep up with the constant security patches and hotfixes, then you could use Microsoft products. If you want a historically more stable OS, then look towards Linux.

By saying this, I'm not impling that Microsoft products won't ever reach the desired level of security and the like, but it's unlikely at this point in time.
    - Maverick