Intel's 3 gigahertz

Thread: Intel's 3 gigahertz

Intel's 3 gigahertz

Intel recently came out with it's new 3 ghz processor, with hyper threading. And I went through, reading all the reviews I could find on it, one compared it to an AMD XP 2800, clocked at 2.25 ghz, I forget the site, but anyways, the AMD chip kept up nicely, often beating it or losing slightly, not too bad. I know that you can't really compare processor speeds across chipsets, but I was wondering if anybody had any indepth info on AMD XP processors. Because, I don't know too much about processors, and I was wondering about the tech AMD uses for it's processors to keep up with chips running at much higher clock speeds. I recently build a computer, and was thinking of upgrading my processor for a few reasons. Could anybody help me out?

I checked the AMD website and found this Athlon XP 2800+ and 2700+ FAQ

A brief Q&A taken from the page above:
    Q:Are the AMD Athlon™ XP processors 2800+ and 2700+ for desktop PCs based on the “Thoroughbred” core?
    A:Yes. The AMD Athlon XP processors 2800+ and 2700+ are based on AMD’s state-of-the-art 0.13 micron technology, the processor core previously code named “Thoroughbred.”
    Q:What is QuantiSpeed™ architecture?
    A:QuantiSpeed architecture is an easy-to-understand name which encompasses the AMD Athlon XP processor’s core architectural features, and explains to end users how the AMD Athlon XP processor provides superior application performance. Specifically, QuantiSpeed architecture incorporates:

* Nine-issue, fully pipelined, superscalar microarchitecture
    * Superscalar, fully pipelined floating point unit (FPU)
    * Hardware data prefetch
    * Exclusive & speculative Translation Look-aside Buffers (TLB)
    An explanation of Key Architectural Features can be found on this page
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.-Reaper Man

Thanks, I've been there though. I've read all that. I was hoping for something more, maybe a comparison, some banchmarks. Plus that page doesn't explain everything.

AMD is releasing the ClawHammer in december.. It is form a solo2 board with a 667mhz FSB and has a core speed of 4 GHz.... here.. http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q1/020227/
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)