Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's dumb for You

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar

Here's dumb for You

Some time ago, I was all excited about some E-bay purchase of something or other and I even rushed home from work to see its status. So anyways, I get home, hit the power button, yadda yadda...finally the computer boots up 10 years later. Ok. cool. I go to log in like usual...and I'm sitting there...waiting....waiting..finally i get some kind of invalid server/domain error. what?! I Try again..same thing , and like the brilliant rocket scientist I am, I try about 10 more times (OK i got it...the square peg dont fit into the round hole). So finally, i started checking the usual suspects, the network configurations, IP addresses, etc. Nothing.....hmph. So after about, oh...30 minutes of ripping my hair out of my head, I happen to glance over at the cable modem box...I never turned the power on for the box. This should make everyone feel a little smarter today

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Hee Hee....I do that with my laptop nic card, sometimes. Though it only takes a couple of seconds to figure it out! ;-)

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

I know just how you feel..it's even worse when youve done it while trying to get mp3's or a update..

Talking I made alot of service Calls....

I made alot of service calls for similar circumstances back in the early 90's.. Not to mention all of the Help desk calls.....

Yea they should make some of these cable modem box's easier to tell whether or not there connected. I know mine doesnt give me a very accurate read. I cant say how many times that has messed me up while online.

heh yeah a similar thing happened to me a few years ago.....back in the days of my 28.8....ouch
    anyway...I'm just getting ICQ for the first time WAYY before AOL raped it.... so it's running not too slowy..but my connection fails...oh poo...
    So I try to reconnect....nothing happends...I automaticly assume my modem died and got just a little worried because that computer cost my parents 4000 big ones...so franticly i'm doing all I can to make it work again...installing drivers.....yaddah yaddah....turns out the modular jack just fell out of the wall somehow....yikes...

Been there done that.

Help Desk is a nightmare. Working for an ISP, you get the dumbest questions.

I feel your pain.

Caine

ya know, the people for my ISPs help desk love me, my modem has a button to stop all activity and i was BSing with the tech while waiting for something to load, and hes like, you would not believe how many calls we get cause people forget to hit the button again, any time iv called my new ISP theyv been very nice to me and actually enjoyed talking to me, we exchange stories and stuff. iv actually managed to brighten there days because i understand how there job can get irritating so when i call and im not saying my thingy wont do stuff please help i actually ususally have an idea of whats wrong and they appreciate thatand we get along good=)

I had something similar happen to me...I installed a new nic in my computer and connected it to my home lan, but I couldn't connect to the internet (though I could ping the router). I checked the dsl modem and such. Half hour later, just as I was about to give up, I remembered I set internet access controls in the router to certain ip's, and since its a new card...and router uses DHCP...yep i think you get it.
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

OMG, you should have posted this in the tech humor forum. I am dying pver here, i know evem though you felt dumb, you were also happy and relived that it was nothing serious. I was in a similar situation. -Ebo