Thread: Installing Red Hat via 1394 CD-ROM

The Iceman Cometh

Installing Red Hat via 1394 CD-ROM

I am very familiar with both Red Hat Linux and FreeBSD, but have a question regarding installation onto a new PC via an external drive. I recently purchased two Dell Latitude X200's, one with Windows XP Pro and the other for Linux. When I boot of my my external Firewire (IEEE1394) drive, the installation of Red Hat 8.0 starts and I go through the first few prompts. When it comes to actually installing the program, however, it says that the CD could not be found in the CD-ROM drive. I believe this has to do with the fact that the CD-ROM is external. Anyone have any suggestions how to go about installing it via CD's? (I don't really feel like waiting for it all to download/install via FTP). Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and by the way, boot floppies aren't an option because no floppy drive is available.

AJ

er0k
    well i know you know to set the bios to boot from that ext. drive, but all i can think of is that you may have burned an improper image? id try reburning it with a different program and see. other than that im clueless bro...

Antionline Herpetologist
    Maybe you could get driver floppies for your CD-ROM drive from dell's site. Then boot from floppy and install off the CD. Try this link, it might just help http://www.cs.unm.edu/~maccabe/Dell_x200.html#firewire
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

er0k
    yeah avden theres alot of problems with linux and certain dell laptops. users.ox.ac.uk/~magd1113/comp/8000.html
    mobilix.org/firewire_linux.html
    delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/ board?board.id=latit_periph
    http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld...dtoday/32.html
    www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,483480,00.asp - 76k
    www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,16060,00.asp
    www.zdnetindia.com/reviews/specials/ gift/stories/69545.html

one or more of those might help, i didnt look but meh could help. good luck aj.

The Iceman Cometh
    I just wanted to thank you for your assistance. After reading some of your resources, I just set up one of my Red Hat boxes as an NFS server and, after booting off of the CD with the external firewire CD-ROM, I installed it that way. I've been able to get nearly all of the hardware set up thanks to your links as well. I'm actually typing this from my new laptop (using Opera) via my wireless network. Once again, thanks for the help.

AJ

er0k
    np AJ, im sure all of us would be glad if we had a problem and someone helped us. i know i would. anytime brotha :P

Isent this in the wrong forum?

-RedAlert