Thread: apathy

The indifference of many americans is at the root of many problems which beset us today.Too Quote" from a friend of mine "I'm doing fine why should I get all stressed out for nothing whatever I say or do isn't going to make a change anyway. They are complacent and comfortable in their own little world. I don't like the terrorists but at least they are willing to fight for what they believe in.The possibility of war with Iraq and the creeping curtailment of our freedoms should be a wake up call to get out and vote, read and learn about the people in power here and overseas. React, move,and become learned Help your country if you love it by becoming educated and protecting it from threats within this nation and threats from other countries What you care about or don't care about will own the years of your lives. Auntie
    For hundreds of years the brain was physically capable of the thoughts of a Galelio or an Aristotle among people who had not yet learned to count to ten. Much of that equipment is still unused and waiting.

When in Rome..., do what is RIGHT.

I think that this kind of apathy reaches far wider than that borders of the United States. When the popular theory leaves no room for criticism of others or for progression than it is hard to have an oppinion or a belief that something is wrong. Relativism is death. Of the soul, of the spirit, and of progress. I'm not saying that it hasn't served a purpose. As a reaction to emperialism it serve its purpose well. In the increasing interconnected world, where cultural bounderies no longer dictate communication boundaries, one can hardely go around trying to "make the world England" (or the USA, which seems to be the more current practice). But for a theory that is supposed to promote tolerance and understanding, it rules them out and leaves enforced acceptance. The biggest weakness of relativism isn't its impact on external societies, it is its impact on the internal. We can look out all we want with a spirit of non-interference (or minimal interference), but within our own society all we can say is that a practice is correct because we do it, even if we are deadset against it.

And even though this seems to be a purely academic from of apathy, it isn't just a problem of the academics. In order to promote better cultural understanding, this theory has been widely accepted by the educational systems of the world, so even without knowing and contiously adhering to the theory it is ingrained in everyone from the beginning of their education.

What we need is a system that has room for criticism, such that we can say "I understand that their cultural practices are different from ours, and that they have every right to practice them, but I still believe them to be wrong," so that when we look at our own society we can say "There is a common sentiment that such-and-such practice is acceptable, however it is wrong and should be changed." The tolerance that relativism is supposed to promote in our views on external cultures can be held as an objective virtue that promotes non-interference, while allowing us to criticize our own culture and actively try to change it. Without this, all we can do is sit back and observe, without passing a judgment, since that judgment could not be put to any good use.

Relativism leads to apathy, apathy leads to inaction, inaction leads to stagnation, and stagnation is never progress. The irony of this should not be missed, relativism was viewed as a step forward, and I am asking us to take an apparent step backwards. But, if a path leads to a dead end, shouldn't we back track to the point where we can find another path that leads us somewhere?

I'm planning on writing my senior seminar (the lengthy paper that I have to write and defend in order to culminate my Philosophy Major and get my BA) on this. Which is why I can't take credit for the title of this post, the title was suggested to me by my currect advisor (a really smart man that goes by the name of David Seligman, PhD). My current working title for my paper is "Personal Accountability within a Socially Deterministic Framework"..., but that may change. Should their be interest, when I have my sem done (sometime in May 2003), I will post it in the Cosmos forum so that I can get somemore feedback than what will be given to me when I have to present and defend it infront of all of my profs and many of my peers. Until then, this is all I am saying.

Sorry that I once again got lengthy (a personal vice), but you touched a nerve. I support your sentiment. Apathy will be the death of us.

Apathy is letting a situation go on and not doing something about it.
    Emailing your Member of Parliament/Govt and letting them know your views is the only way politicians can get an idea on what the public wants.
    Here is what i got back this week from an M.P in Australia.

Dear xxxxxxx

Thank you for your email in support of my motion on Middle East peace. I have been inundated with emails and phone messages with the great majority offering support for my stand. Thatís my excuse for not getting back to you sooner.

While I was disappointed that those opposing my motion in the debate chose to ignore the issues and make a personal attack on me instead, I do feel that we have broken the ice. For the first time in half a century the taboo on discussing Israel and Middle East peace in the Australian Parliament has been lifted

Your message of support and encouragement was greatly appreciated and the many offers of assistance in furthering the cause of a just settlement will be of great benefit in the ongoing campaign.

It is heartening to know that so many Australians share my concern for the wellbeing of the people of Palestine and Israel. Together with other concerned citizens around the world we may exert enough influence to bring a lasting peace to those troubled lands.

Thank you,

Julia Irwin.MP

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, 11 November 2002 10:03 PM
    To: Irwin, Julia (MP)
    Subject: congratulations

There's a nice Niemoller quote that sums up apathy perfectly-

In Germany, first they came for the communists, and I did not speak up, because I was not a communist.
    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak up because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
    Then they came for the catholics and I didn't speak up because I was a protestant.
    Then they came for me, and by that time no-one was left to speak up.

--Pastor Martin Niemoller (victim of the Nazis)

America has been headed down a dangerous road for some time. The people of the US have been listening ot the so called experts for far to long and ignoring their own common sense. I agrre with you Auntie that apathy is going to be the down fall of America in the very near furture. IMHO the majority of sheeple in the US today are more than happy to give control over their lives to someone else so that they don't have to take any responsibility for what happens or does not happen...
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

it is unfortunate that people naturally take the course of least resistance. over time, due partly to technology and little "conveniences", this path has given less and less resistance. why bother making a meal when you can just stop by Mc Donald's? they say the food won't immediately kill you, so it must be fine. why fix anything i own when i can hire someone else to do it for me? it's not like i'll actually need to know this somewhat useful information.

sure, some things like fast-food restaurants and repairmen are good if you need them, or if you don't have the time. but, unfortunately, it's gotten to the point where people abuse these little conveniences because they don't want to do anything that takes a minimal amount of work, despite the fact that it's probably better for you physically and mentally if you do some of your own work.

just look at the youth of the day. how many kids play sports because they want to, rather than their parents more or less forcing them to? not all that many. sure, i only really participate in snowboarding, and the odd unorganized game of something with my friends, but i do lift weights and try to keep myself in shape.

i don't doubt that laziness will indirectly be one of the main causes of death in the not-so-distant future.
    i will shoot you so hard.