Thread: Firewall/Gaming

Post Firewall/Gaming

I was playing Medal of Honor Allied Assault(MOHAA) the other night. I realized that when I first installed it and started playing online I put my firewall down so my ping would be faster...Is this not a good idea or does it not matter?

Depends on the game, but some games have had security issues associated them (unreal and quake come to mind) and that is something you should keep in mind while playing them.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Ya I figured that but wanted to get some input from other people. Thx
    [pong][blur]Victory to Success[/blur][/pong]is only half won through the[pong][blur]Habit of Hard Work...[/blur][/pong]
    -Jagfire19

I don't notice a difference with my ping weather the fire wall is on or off but maybe that because I’m on 56k. The real danger with games is the mods. Some mods contain code so you could end up with a trojan or virus. http://www.computing.co.uk/News/1100873
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I'd say it's a bad idea to drop your firewall for any extended period of time. You never know what automated little "nasty" might find your box without it's condom on.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

As an aside to my post, before I got my little DSL firewall/router/dhcp server combo switch, I usually left Agnitum Outpost running in the background and didn't notice too much of a difference in speed (and the difference I noticed was because my machine is older and the lost mem/cpu cycles are noticeable, not so much of a network impact); however, now that I have the firewall/router/dhcp server, I still run Agnitum when browsing the web to block ads and the like, but don't feel nearly as worried about dropping it to play America's Army or MOH or something...and since installing it haven't noticed a single probe.

So if you are worried about it and are on broadband, look into getting something like this (which IMHO is a little bit better than using a personal firewall assuming you have a good/strict policy on the firewall).

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)