Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protect Folders/Files

Question Protect Folders/Files

Hello fellas,

well ive searched the internet for this and most of the times ended up getting dismayed.
    I want to know which is the software that can help me password protect my files and folders.
    I am running windows 2000 (professional). Okay, so now , ive also got a few softwares that cater to my need, but i dont need a software dat costs me money.
    So is there any software that is free and can password protect a whole folder + a single file ? well it'd really help, thanks

P.S. - By protect, i mean password protect.

search well the AO , u'll find all ur answers .
    u can check the similar threads down page and it will lead u to more and more.
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?

There is a program called "Folder Guard". Thats the software you need. There is a problem it is payed! It is working perfect on my winXP. Ther are multiple cracks for this software if you could not afford to pay for it. But better just buy it!

i suppose what you could do, if your partition is NTFS, then it will have a built-in encryption option. right-click the folder>properties>advanced, and there you have it. just make sure you log in as the user you encrypted it as to unencrypt it...

[edit]just as a note, yeah, i know this isn't password protection, but it's still good, if different users on your computer all have their own logins. i can't think of any password protection programs off the top of my head, sorry.[/edit]
    i will shoot you so hard.

why dont you just change the permissions on the folder?

I use the technique Spyrul suggested. Using NTFS and changing the security settings you can effectively lock out folder, make them invisible to other users, etc. Nothing to buy, just as tight and secure as Microsofts vaunted system security can make it (maybe I should check into some third party software after all).
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

I did right-click on the folder -> Properties. But there was no Advanced tab. Which setting do I have to change to get the Advanced tab?
    Thank you all..!

remember the NTFS part
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?

Originally posted here by apollyon
    I did right-click on the folder -> Properties. But there was no Advanced tab. Which setting do I have to change to get the Advanced tab?
    Thank you all..!
    nothing too important, but just so you don't waste two to three seconds of frustrtation, it'll be a button next to the Read-Only and Hidden attributes.

and, of course, be sure you've got it NTFS. if you've got a FAT or FAT32 partition, and you have FSUTIL anywhere on your computer, you can convert by going to the command line and doing this command:

convert <drive letter>: /fs:NTFS

just so you know, expect to lose data on whatever drive you're converting... so, you know, back stuff up.

[edit]to check for FSUTIL, open your command prompt and type "fsutil /?". if it gives you commands, you've got it. otherwise, find it on the internet.[/edit]
    i will shoot you so hard.

http://www.webattack.com/freeware/freeware.html

Im pretty sure if you browse threw the security-privacy section of this website you can find what your lookin for..hope this helped.........