Thread: programming Knowledge for security purposes ?

programming Knowledge for security purposes ?

Ive been reading alot of stuff on here and have two books im reading on hacking and security measures. My question is this. In order to use, port scanners, scanners , sniffers and other tools. Do i need to have a knowledge of programming to use the tools or do they tell you how to use them. So far I have come across nothing that explains wether i need to have programming knowledge in order to use the tools and understand the info they are sending. Appreciate any assistance.

You can use the tools without knowing how to program in any lang., just make sure your 'targets' know what you are doing before you do it. . .playin' with canned hackeZ tewls are a good way to get in to trouble.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

I recommend you try what I am doing. Download them and use them on a private network with two or three computers you control and no access to the internet. This allows you to play with the attack and defense, protects you from prosecution, protects you from the possible trojans and keyloggers your tools may have blessed you with as well. When finished with them wipe the drive, reinstall the systems and then you can reinstate then into your production or on-line network.

Now you have played with the script, learned what it does, what changes it detects, what blocks it etc. With this it should make it easier to learn why and that is the more important question to answer. Knowing what is a ScriptKiddie level, knowing Why is a hacker's true goal.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

Originally posted here by SodaMoca5
    I recommend you try what I am doing. Download them and use them on a private network with two or three computers you control and no access to the internet. This allows you to play with the attack and defense, protects you from prosecution, protects you from the possible trojans and keyloggers your tools may have blessed you with as well. When finished with them wipe the drive, reinstall the systems and then you can reinstate then into your production or on-line network.

Now you have played with the script, learned what it does, what changes it detects, what blocks it etc. With this it should make it easier to learn why and that is the more important question to answer. Knowing what is a ScriptKiddie level, knowing Why is a hacker's true goal.

That's the best way to learn anything about security, setting up a test network and just trying things out.. The best and the legal way to learn :-) Anyway, as far as knowing programming, it helps, but is not a requirement. I'm certain, however, that if you study deep enough into security that your interest in programming will be sparked and you learn on your own, or you would be forced to learn at some point down the road...
    - Maverick

Thanks for the info fellow's. Will try those suggestion,s. Right now Im just in a learning process, to get an overall perspective of the how's and why's of hackers good and bad. And to learn the in's and out's of my own computer and security measures. Now back to more reading. Thanks again , you guys are great.

Re: programming Knowledge for security purposes ?

Originally posted here by this_1_guy2002
    Ive been reading alot of stuff on here and have two books im reading on hacking and security measures. My question is this. In order to use, port scanners, scanners , sniffers and other tools. Do i need to have a knowledge of programming to use the tools or do they tell you how to use them. So far I have come across nothing that explains wether i need to have programming knowledge in order to use the tools and understand the info they are sending. Appreciate any assistance.
    It's not knowing how to use them, but knowing how they work.

Programming and security go hand and hand. If you don't understand how your computer handles instructions, memory, i/o, communications & networking then your knowledge of security is going to be extremely limited.

Any bum off the street with minimal knowledge could use tools someone else used.

Banned
    You might want to read up on how networking, TCP/IP, ports, & honeypots work and how they should be setup/built that way you'll already know half of what you need to know when you decide to make your own "SCANNER WAREz".

I say don't use other peoples tools, make your own. It adds fun and honor to your hacking/security knowledge. Learn C++... I think its awesome.

Hey thanks for the other suggestions folks. While I am no where close to making my own programs yet, I want to learn everything I can. About all of this. You guys and gals have opened my eyes to a new way of looking at computers. I learn soemthing new everyday, and can't stop looking up info. This is all very intresting stuff to know. Especially in htis day and age where computers are everywhere, so security on your home or office computer is very important. Cant say enough good stuff about this site and the great people here. Thanks once again.

Here a good example of how programming might help someone out with security stuff?
    ::Check this tutorial out::

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=236973
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...