Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: port 139 open

so how do we disable port 139 on win98..
    BlAcKiE
    GearBlitz

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Turn off file and printer sharing in the network settings
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

you say you have been to GRC... you seem to have missed looking at the 'network bondage' page at that site. Suggest you have a look at it , it's here

http://grc.com/su-bondage.htm

It is much more permanent that simply turning off file/printer sharing and gives some insight into protocol bindings. But I would suggest you read it thouroughly before you attempt it.

hope it helps

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

This is good info on port 137-139, NETBios, the most attacked port according to Internet Storm Center

I could have swore that there is a Services file under Windows that a person could edit in notepad and turn services off, or comment them out. Is this true?

I'm pretty sure I turned off telnet and ftp this way for my W2K box. Nmap scan did not find anything listening on those ports

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Er.... It's pretty easy to turn off FTP and Telnet on a Win2k box anyway. Telnet doesn't come loaded as default so unless you install it - it won't be there and if you go into IIS admin you simply have to Stop the FTP service and voila..... all gone. Of course, if you aren't running a web server then uninstall all of IIS and you are solid... Well, at least from those ports point of view....<s>
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Yes I would definetely recommend that you turn off ALL forms of remote file sharing on your system.But anyways here is a site if your looking for screenshots and you find yourself a little clueless on the task at hand.http://site.lisco.com/support/wirele...8fileshare.htm
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."