New Kazaa v2 using port 80
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Kazaa v2 using port 80

New Kazaa v2 using port 80

I was wondering about information anyone could give me on this new version of Kazaa. I myself have never used any version of Kazaa, but since its (v2) release the network at my school runs very slow, the Network Admin clames it is because Kazaa v2 uses a default of port 80. Our school has also recently been attacked by a DoS attack that the Admin also attributes to this Kazaa v2, not to mention that our school network has attacked other places recently too. The network admins are blocking those IPs of the people that are doing this but more and more people are downloading this program every day. Basicaly I am wondering if 1) Kazaa v2 can be the cause of all this and 2) What can be done to stop this from going on??

Thanks

Banned
    Disable port 80

Seriously though, if your admin seriously wanted to stop this, he'd disable/unauthorise the ability to install programs by simple student users (login restrictions). They could also attempt to block any types of sites with the affiliation to the word KaZaA (although you can get around that) They could always use a firewall to restrict any connection made by any other program then the browser. There's many things the school admins can do, I find it odd they haven't though of this?

The fact is that P2P programs are known bandwidth hogs mostly because of file size and most users choose to do 15 to 20 downloads at one time, even if it's not port 80 this will slow down an entire network, and yes cause a massive security hole through well built firewalls. Most colleges and universities have banned their use for this simple fact alone, how by having a student or a parent clearly informed that such programs are not allowed and if instally the user account will be disabled, not a good thing at school. Sounds like the security needs to be tightned at your school users informed that some actvities will not be allowed then activly monitor the network for the out going traffic. Have the parents suggest a full time net admin person you cannot do it part times now days.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Banned
    I remember the first version of kazaa had alot of spyware everywere and lack of security and now they have moved away from spyware into makeing backdoors. LOL I understand that kazaa needs peaple to connect directly to its networks but that doesn't mean that they should highly weaken systems by opening a !MAJOR! root port.

It would be really disastrous if kazaa were using port 80 by default. Not because more people can get files but because the only way that ISP's could keep some bandwidth open for their customers would be to drop all requests to port 80 on their network by default. Then if you wanted to publish a web site they would charge you an arm and a leg for the privilege. This would be the end of a free internet.

This isn't true is it?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Google search for "kazaalite". It probably won't rectify the Port 80 problem, but it also won't load a lot of other useless crap with it. I believe the main KazaaLite page was kazaalite.tk
    I\'d rather die on my feet than live my life on my knees.

(Emiliano Zapata, a Mexican revolutionary in the early 1900s)

Oh! thats what the admin claims...ok! i was trying to leave work when i saw your post.

when kazaa/lite loads it displays a kazaa home page which it gets by making a request to kazaa.com port 80, but all the bandwidth gets eaten up by requests to port 1214 for file downloads and searchs from the computers of users.
    Although he is right about the bandwidth getting eaten up by p2p. if half the users on the network all decide to start downloading mp3s, you might as well switch to tin cans and string.

i hope these p2p users see what their doing so their not too shocked when restrictions are placed on their internet usage.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

High Speed Bell Sympatico in Ontario has a cap on their usage. A friend of mine found this out the hard way. He enjoys downloading "movies" off Kazaa. His last bill was for $190+. That was for one month! I've now heard rumors that Rogers High Speed Cable in Ontario will also be putting a limit on usage.
    I\'d rather die on my feet than live my life on my knees.

(Emiliano Zapata, a Mexican revolutionary in the early 1900s)

kazaalite V2 will allow the user to change the port used for downloads. The suggestions on other boards have been to bypass firewall security by using port 80, port 8080, or port 21.
    If you receive something that says \'Send this to everyone you know,\' pretend you don\'t know me.

Banned
    It still won't help the fact that a school full of kazaa users will use port 80.

We would go out of our way to change it, but what about the other 80% of people who don't care, as long as their songs and such come in?

And as for the Ontario thing, Rogers has put a cap, but if you exceed it, you get cut down to near 56k speed. (but no extra billing!)