Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Kazaa v2 using port 80

yikes, limit on Rogers? i just got mine a couple of weeks ago, so i certainly hope they don't end up doing that here in New Brunswick. after being on dialup (28.8kbps max, mind you) for seven years, capping my newfound broadband would just be a kick in the face.

so i have to make sure nobody in my town downloads too much or i'll have to break their fingers
    i will shoot you so hard.

Why does your school even allow you to download software such as KaZaa in the first place. I know if I even downloaded software such as Winzip for example I would probably get suspended if I got caught. What do you do on your computer at school that would even require KaZaA? heh..

Use Kazaa Lite

Use kazaa lite.....problem solved.
    ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

no, because the other half of the problem is that people downloading mp3s kill any bandwidth on the network, which happens to be another big problem. well, for the school, anyway.

as far as the Port 80 issue goes, i suppose you could, you know... not download the new version of kazaa.
    i will shoot you so hard.

I'm with Ted and Tiger on this one, it is one thing to design a P2P network and it has the pipes to deal with the downloads. But fact is simple all P2P users think they are the pnly ones. My son uses Kazzalite and when he in on-line and I am on my connect is useless so I unplug him. I have a big pipe into the house and he thinks nothing of 30 to 40 MP3 download and maybe a video or two all at the same time (why if I am using his line is not connected). But is is also not fair to other broadband users mostly moms and dads on my leg of the connect because his activity will slow their use also, (an old man I care about my neighbors thing even if you do not know them). Fact is ports can be closed real fast and outgoing traffic can be watch just as easy P2P is a great concept if all users and the system are designed for a specific task. Face it the recent laws attempting to be passed are because of mass copying of copyrighted stuff. If you were a struggling music person that was lucky enough to get a contract to have your works published is this considered selling out or paying the rent, feeding your children or caring for your family? Just like JP here 24/7 he wants a life becuase 24/7 for free will not pay the bills...go figure Life costs money and hads nothing to do with selling out just feeding the children or life you may owe for college loans. Be i music, programs what ever you get what you give.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

When Kazaa first connects, do a "netstat -n", You'll will see what ports Kazaa is connecting on. It does not connect nor download on port 80. Port 80 is merely used to show that first "web" interface. I tried, unsuccessfully, to block users connections to P2P progs by adding the following lines to our company firewall.

access-list acl_in deny tcp any any eq 1214
    access-list acl_in deny udp any any eq 1214
    access-list acl_in deny ip any 213.248.112.0 255.255.255.0
    access-list acl_in deny ip any host 217.116.226.11
    access-list acl_in deny ip any host 217.116.226.12
    access-list acl_in deny ip any host 217.116.226.13

Users can still connect but they cannot see that first "web" interface because it's ip is blocked. Some downloads that choose to initiate on 1214 get blocked as well. I think to block access totally we are going to close access to all ports above 1024 from within the firewall.

Originally posted here by Gixxer
    When Kazaa first connects, do a "netstat -n", You'll will see what ports Kazaa is connecting on. It does not connect nor download on port 80. Port 80 is merely used to show that first "web" interface. I tried, unsuccessfully, to block users connections to P2P progs by adding the following lines to our company firewall.
    I have done some more homework on Kazaa v2 using port 80 and I have been told that it uses it for an alternative port for incoming data. The person I talked to was unsure what would "trigger" Kazaa to switch to port 80. So if anyone knows what causes it to switch it would be very helpful. Obviously the solution would be to Turn off the "Use port 80 as alternative for incoming connections" but it seems that some people don't know, don't want to, or don't care. This great connection speed for viewing webpages kinda reminds me of using a 28.8k dialup connection...

If your school is using Novell, I am absolutley sure that the admin. could block it, it is very strange that they haven't thought of that unless the admin is a monkey wearing boxing gloves
    I read somewhere you shouldn\'t always believe what you read so what the Hell am I supposed to do?

Couldn't you prevent this whole problem from starting if you are at a school/university/work and not allow the end users to install KaZaa or Kazaalite at all?

Where I used to work, we ran NT 4.0 on top of Novell and no end users could install and .exe files.

-Chris

Originally posted here by JockVSJock
    Couldn't you prevent this whole problem from starting if you are at a school/university/work and not allow the end users to install KaZaa or Kazaalite at all?

Where I used to work, we ran NT 4.0 on top of Novell and no end users could install and .exe files.

-Chris
    The problem with not allowing the end user to install the P2P programs is that the end user's computer belongs to them and is hooked up to the network through a connection in their dorm room.

Someone called in to the helpdesk here at school really upset over the network being soo slow. When she was told that its because people are missusing network resorces she asked if she could have all their names to go find them and "hunt them down". Well it turns out that she was one of those people missusing the network... OOPS