Thread: NTL Cable Modem Help!

It's a gas!

NTL Cable Modem Help!

Hi Guys

I received my cable modem from NTL and got this set up on my windows box fine.
    But talk about a nightmare when trying to get it set up on my RedHat 7.3 Linux box.

I have the modem connected via USB and its being recognised in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf as an Ambit USB Cable Modem which is the correct model.

I just dont for the life of me know how to configure this and get connected to the web.

If anyone has had the same problem or has any idea what to do, i would be extremely grateful!

Thanks in advance

r3b00+

Not really sure how useful this is to you, since I dont have a cable modem - only fricking dial-up

http://www.europe.redhat.com/documen...ps.php3#AEN628
    I\'m drunk, and right now I\'m so in love with you.

It's a gas!
    Afraid not cHiLiEd TiMMaY, im connecting via USB not through an NIC

Cheers

r3b00+

I use an NTL cable modem under Linux.

I have no idea if the USB interface can be used under Linux, however if you get an ethernet card, that works fine (that's what I do).

Read the newsgroups for more info - there is lots. Basically the USB interface is quite proprietry and there probably isn't a Linux driver for it, especially seeing as it works fine on ethernet.

It's a gas!
    I guess im gonna have to buy myself a NIC and go that way but i really dont want to give up on the USB connection. (im a stuborn kinda guy)

Slarty: USB devices can be used in newer distros its just a handglider getting them installed!

Thanks for trying guys

Regards

r3b00+

I'm with Slarty. Why go through the headache of USB when a $10 NIC will do you just fine?

When I first got my DSL service, it was like pulling teeth to convince my ISP that I didn't want to go USB. I didn't tell them why (Linux support) because they would have looked at me like I was from another planet, but Ethernet is definitely the way to go on Linux. You'll thank yourself later.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

It's a gas!
    Yeah well thanks for the suggestions, i just wanted to see if i could get it installed on USB but seems like thats a no go.

Well anyways i went out last night and got me an NIC, havent installed it yet (football comes first) but ill get around to it tonight.

Cheers guys

r3b00+