GTA3: Video Bummer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GTA3: Video Bummer

Banned

Thumbs down GTA3: Video Bummer

Hey All,

Ain't it a blow to the wallet when you get a game, only to find out that part of your hardware is unsupported?

I recently got GTA3, and found the gameplay to be quite choppy and sluggish. When searching the support forum on their site, it sais that nVidia TNT/TNT2 cards (which I have) don't fully accept 8.1 info and disregards it, and goes software instead. (even if the drivers for the card say 8.1 ok)

Is that not a cheap shot bellow the belt. The worst part, is that the *nice* store which I purchased the game (Futureshop) will not allow me to return an open box software.

Ain't that the ****.....

So I guess I'll have to try to sell it to someone or sell it on eBay....

I had the same thing happen to me when I went to play one of the newer games except I had a S3 card, then I did what I recommend.
    Buy a new video card, never hurts, it was kind of amazing some of the differences I saw. Well anyway, I know the feeling
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    I know the feeling. I downloaded the UT (Unreal Tournament) 2003 Demo from some website. It was some 98MB I think. Seeing as I have a slow connection, it took about 6 hours to download (yeah 6 hours). I could have walked there faster. I finally get it all setup..click start..and I get a "missing .dll" error message. I almost lost it completely. Needless to say, I went out that night, got trashed and felt much better. Beer has that redeeming quality about it.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Banned

Now That I understand! I've been there too where you download something just to find that the stupid archive is corrupt! It happened to me when I downloaded the short film off of bmwfilms.com (btw, check it out, shorts by john woo and stuff).

Went to run it and got to watch 3 minutes of the film until it hangs at the same frame, every time! Needless to say, I was forced to download it again....

I'd buy the card, except that I don't got the moola to splurge. Blew it on the game instead..... (grr) Bills suck!

yeah, FutureShop's not exactley anyone's #1 choice for purchases on anything comptuers. i guess software is alright with them, because they can't exactley screw much up.

once, for kicks, i asked if they had PCI PS/2 cards, and i got my expected answer. "Well, our Playstation 2 section has mostly games in it."

either way, you're right in that the box should probably show what specifically isn't supported. and FutureShop should know that people can't really test for defective (or unsupported) software without opening the box. i guess some people are just stupid.
    i will shoot you so hard.

I had the same problem, it was an XP problem and not vid card. Try the XP patch described in the documentation and try it? It's worth a try to avoid buying a new card.
    Luck--TSM
    Atlanta, GA

well, keep in mind that he did say that nVidia says that his particular TNT video card is not supported by GTA3, so, you know... it's kinda really safe to assume that is the problem.

anyway, tyger, if you have your A+ cert, what you *could* do, if you bought your video card from Future Shop and it's still under warranty, is that you could actually scratch the card a bit, tell them that your computer is not working and you know that it is the video card. because of the A+ certification, they really can't say you're wrong, so they'll take your word for it and replace it. if your model is no longer in production, they have to replace it with the next one up.

sure, it's completely unethical, but they inadvertantly told me i could do that.

If i was you, next time that i go to buy something i will make the store give me like a special note stating that i can return the item ifit is not compatible with with my system ( even if i have the required things). That is what i do because stores over here in Union, New Jersey, do try to ripp you off. Another solution is buying the game at a store that gives you a couple of days warranty or a month regardless of the status of the item, opened or not.

God luck trying to sale it, i hope somebody buys it from you, because that is really a blow bellow the belt.

nah, that probably wouldn't work out too well over at Future Shop.

first off, it's something they'd probably never think of.

but realistically, anyone could just go buy a game, burn it, then say it was broken. that, and because there's so many people there at any given time, tracking every software purchase might take a little while... customers get angry, like a mac user without their daily latée or whatever the hell inhuman caffinated thing they drink.

Banned
    Hey All,

Ebo, it's a good thought, but Futureshop basically puts all responsibility on the buyer. And like spyrul said, there's the risk of burning the disk. (Electronics Boutique used to allow it but people abused it and now it's no more).

I'm running 98se and not XP, so the patch wouldn't work (Thanks anyways)

btw, that's cute about the PCI PS2 Card Reader thing
    As for the vidcard a+ cert thing, It's a good trick, but I bought my card at EB and it's been 3 years so it woulda been over anyways.