Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with telnet.exe

Unhappy Problem with telnet.exe

Hello, i got a problem with telnet! I've been trying to use it, i'm kinda new around here. nut eberytime i open telnet.exe en watch my status, is says: not connected! How do i connect? Maybe the question is kinda dumb, but he, im new around here!

Please give me hints and/or tips.

Thanks
    Ass

you have to provide the address to which u want to connect to and the port address(optional).
    On the command prompt , type "telnet hostname.com xx" Replace hostname.com by the site u want to connect to and xx by the port no. If u don't specify a port no., it connects at 23 the telnet port automatically.

Don't forget that you have to have either a telnet server listening or you must telnet to a port that accepts connections from a telnet client. From what I understand, you can also telnet to an smtp server, although I have not tested this as of yet.

Edit: You might want to try a search of the forums on this from the homepage. There have been many questions on telnet lately.

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

The to post's above this are correct you need to provide a client for telnet to connect to
    try telneting here cyberspace.org this will give you access to a free UNIX shell you will need to sign up for a shell follow the instructions the shell give's you if you telnet to it.
    t2k2 you are absouletlt correct you can telnet to an SMTP server on port 25 you would do this
    from windows like this start>run>telnet and this would prduce a telnet screen and you give the command telnet "the server address goes here" 25 or in linux you would type from a shell
    telnet and you will get a promt that looks like this
    telnet>
    then from ths prompt type open and you should see something like this
    (to) this is where you type the server name you want to connect like for example
    (to)my-server.org 25 and it will say something like trying (servers address)
    then
    Escape character is '^]'.
    ande it would greet you with a login prompt.
    How ever if you telnet to an SMTP server you will get the Escape character is '^]'.
    promt then the sendmail version called a daemon banner this looks some thing like this
    ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.6/8.11
    this tell's you the version of the sendmail daemon that is running on port 25 if you want
    to send email from the sendmail daemon running on port 25 you would type
    MAIL FROM:<email adress goes here>
    you should see some thing like the sender is ok
    RCPT TO:<person you're sending the email the address goes here>
    you will recive a messege like receiptent ok
    DATA
    this tells the server that you are wanting to insert data to an email
    after you have finished writing the email put a period or dot"." on the last line of the email
    this tells the server that you have finished writing the email and are ready to send after that you should see a message like
    message delivered
    D.0.C

Thanks D.O.C. Do you know of any telnet client that echos the text you type. It does not do this on the client included with Windows 2k apparently - or at least, I don't know how to do it.

Thanks.

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Although I use SSH instead of Telnet these days (most do, to my knowledge) Telnet can also connect to an ftp port, http port, and most basic ones that are widely used. Also, you should look for Putty, a popular telnet/ssh client that has a great interface and works like a charm for me. Just my personal recommendation.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Thanks D.O.C. Do you know of any telnet client that echos the text you type. It does not do this on the client included with Windows 2k apparently - or at least, I don't know how to
    do it.

Thanks.
    t2k2 what do you mean by "echo" do you mean if you connect to a remote host and you type
    a number or letter it will repeat (eg) if i type "1" it will come up in the terminal like "11"
    or do you mean something entirely diffrent ?
    and here's the download page for PuTTY which as spyder32 said is a really good ssh and telnet client you should look in to it if you're on WIN
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html
    D.0.C

By echoing he means you type 1 and when recieved, the host your connected to will reply the 1, you can turn this off, the "new" telnet in win2k or winxp is like command line but the old one (9x etc.) was a crappy program like notepad

it's true you can telnet to any port you want, you can even telnet to SSH port, you can telnet to IRC

telnet irc.stealth.net 6667
    user x x x x x
    nick sswing

With w2k you can start the telent service and telnet to the localhost -I always disable it on my system but it might be useful for remote admin of console based tools -ie certain version of mq series.

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Hey canyou connect to every port with telnet? or is like 23 and some others. Just wondering?