Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with telnet.exe

Couple of corrections here.

1. Telnet was never a Windows thing it was a Unix thing M$ licensed it not unlike most the basic TCP/IP protocol stacks are based (read some history of TCP/IP). M$ did not invent networks. They came from research labs andd Universities

2. Why telnet to an FTP site? FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is set to do just that transfer files. One uses the put and get command at the prompt or highlight the file and click the right arrow in Windows. You guessed it M$ did not invent this either but license it again.

3. Connecting to a host, true you can telnet to any addy on any port as long as they allow telnet on that port. If they do not then your in their records another hole closed up long ago through firewalls one can allow HTTP on port 80, FTP on port 21 etc if those ports telnet is not allowed your IP is in the log. If you do get to these ports using telnet or FTP you will be asked to login most cases you fail 3 times your in a log.

4. If you need an echo to keep track of things then you have much work to do. Most of this stuff can be stored in say notepad line per line and you have but to cut and paste it in windows keeping track only of what line you just used. But true command line telnet prompts are from memory. This inside a DOS shell in Win it's best attempt at Unix prompts

Just be aware that firewalls have logs and you spend to much time you will be watched real time and I'd hate to go up against many people my age that watch this stuff. Also consider your quest to learn makes lots of noise on networks so everything you do that is learning real time makes it hard for Net Admin to find the real threats real time.
    Peace
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Originally posted here by t2k2
    Thanks D.O.C. Do you know of any telnet client that echos the text you type. It does not do this on the client included with Windows 2k apparently - or at least, I don't know how to do it.

Thanks.

t2k2
    As a matter of fact, W2K's telnet can do that, t2k2. But don't worry, most people I know are also not aware of this . The key thing is to run telnet without any parameters. Then on the telnet prompt,
    type "set local_echo" to set local echo
    type "display" to display operating parameters
    type "open host.domain port" to connect to host.domain at specified port (default 23)
    type "help" to get help information

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds