Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please say thanks

Major General Smedley Butler (USMC), in 1933 describing war,

War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses.
    I believe in adequate defense at the coastline and nothing else. If a nation comes over here to fight, then we'll fight. The trouble with America is that when the dollar only earns 6 percent over here, then it gets restless and goes overseas to get 100 percent. Then the flag follows the dollar and the soldiers follow the flag.

I wouldn't go to war again as I have done to protect some lousy investment of the bankers. There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

There isn't a trick in the racketeering bag that the military gang is blind to. It has its "finger men" to point out enemies, its "muscle men" to destroy enemies, its "brain men" to plan war preparations, and a "Big Boss" Super-Nationalistic-Capitalism.

It may seem odd for me, a military man to adopt such a comparison. Truthfulness compels me to. I spent thirty-three years and four months in active military service as a member of this country's most agile military force, the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from Second Lieutenant to Major-General. And during that period, I spent most of my time being a high class muscle-man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.

I suspected I was just part of a racket at the time. Now I am sure of it. Like all the members of the military profession, I never had a thought of my own until I left the service. My mental faculties remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military service.

I helped make Mexico, especially Tampico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. The record of racketeering is long. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912 (where have I heard that name before?). I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested.

During those years, I had, as the boys in the back room would say, a swell racket. Looking back on it, I feel that I could have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.
    DAMN!!!! I actually got greens for this from none other than 4midgethitmen!!!!!!
    He's actually a closet commie I tell ya
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

I wouldn't go to war again as I have done to protect some lousy investment of the bankers. There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    I would say that 9/11 qualifies as defense of ones home and an attack on the Bill of Rights... Then again the gentleman you are quoting was speaking in 1933 a period in American history that found the US very isolationist... but I can see some merit in his words... very little... but some... Vietnam is a good example of his words... The current war is not IMHO...
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

One of history's most touching and important moments occured on Christmas Eve. No I do not refer to the birth of the Christ child, Christmas is when we celebrate that (we really have little idea of when it really occurred). What I am referring to is in 1914 when Germans, British, and French (with a spinkling of many other nations) ventured from the trenches to celebrate a Holiday together. Gifts were exchanged, pictures, cards, and food. It wasn't country meeting country it was soldier meeting soldier, human meeting human.

The event scared the High Commands of both sides. They realized that part of the requirement for soldiers to keep fighting was for them to think of the person they were looking at in their sites as the enemy, a target. When targets are humanized it diminishes the capacity of the soldiers to do what they are required to do. The men in the trenches didn't mind. They were pleased to meet others who shared their suffering and for a short time to ease it.

The point is that I am not thanking George Bush for sending these men far away. I am not condoning (nor condemning) any actions currently being undertaken by the military. I am thanking men. Men who are doing their duty. Often in lonely outposts far from their homes. Often in foreign lands. Sometimes in combat situations. I am thanking them for doing their duty and for being prepared to protect my freedom.

To respond like Negative I believe is to take the position of the High Commands who the next year ordered a general bombardment of enemy trenches in the hopes of stopping a recurrance of the short lived, touching, treaty that was made between individuals, not nations, and led to almost a week of peace during one of the most horrendous wars this century. They could not rise above their petty politics and ingrained attitudes to allow any show of compassion or understanding for fear that it might actually lead to peace. Can we also not rise above our petty prejudices to see that making people feel better during a time when separation from friends and family is most harshly felt is a good thing and not to be scoffed and ridiculed?

To blame the soldier in the field for the policies of his leadership is a mistake of the highest order whether that soldier is American, Iraqi, Afghani, or any other nation. I may abhor the the leader(s), the policies, or the actions, but the soldier who risks his life for his country is a special person and deserves to be honored and, when possible, thanked by the people of that nation.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

No country is perfect including the United States. The post's point was about saying thanks to the people serving in the military. Its true that innocent people get killed in a military conflict. However now days the numbers are much lower then they were during the first and second world war.

Its unfortunate that we have to put 60,000 troops in Kuwait just to encourage Iraq to behave itself. Saddam has used chemical weapons on his own people and is now trying to get atropine shots for his troops. If he doesn't have chemical agents then what are the atropine shots for?

It also amazing how fast the people of Europe forget who helped them win WWI and WWII. The US military now focuses on bringing stability to 3rd world nations. Perhaps if you saw a child drink the same water that people and animals $#&! in you would have a different outlook.

please say thanks

I did but you know how I feel already Auntie
    For hundreds of years the brain was physically capable of the thoughts of a Galelio or an Aristotle among people who had not yet learned to count to ten. Much of that equipment is still unused and waiting.

Any man or woman who puts their life at risk to defend their country is to be applauded.

However, to people like Bush, Chretien, Blair, Sharon, Arafat, etc....you're nothing but leeches who grab the spotlight then hide in the shadows when that light is tainted.
    I\'d rather die on my feet than live my life on my knees.

(Emiliano Zapata, a Mexican revolutionary in the early 1900s)

Thanks for the link!

I support the United States of America, the US Armed Forces and President George W. Bush.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Originally posted here by preacherman481
    Thanks for the link!

I support the United States of America, the US Armed Forces and President George W. Bush.

LOL..........And you're also a Christian...."We have a winner!"

4MH - Thanks for the link. Its a great site, and I think its great to give people the chance to thank our men and women in the armed forces.

For all those that say "thank them for what"....you're simply ridiculous people. If your country didn't have an army of any sort guess what would happen. The crazy folks in the world (ie Saddam) would most likely attack, take over, whatever. Don't be so starry-eyed as to think it wouldn't happen. Even if you don't have a big military machine countries like the US would come to your aid. Just like we did in WW1, WW2, Korea, Gulf War...the latter being a bit questionable in my mind, but whatever, you get the point.
    Yet you complain...yet if we stood by, and let bad **** happen...guess what....you'd complain.

People who say "Thank them for what" make me sick. You've most likely had it too good in your life to even see the need for military, but there is one. Sorry you can't see it.

As a member of the U.S. Navy, I just want to say thanks a million for your thanks. It does mean alot to us. I want to thank those who served before me, Alot of veterans from previous wars got no thanks for being forced into something they had no choice in. But they went and served proudly. If it weren't for those folks and the ones serving now our country wouldnt have the freedom we have today. No one country is perfect nor will there ever be as well as the peolpe who serve it. You find good and bad no matter where you are in this world. Whenn other countries are having problems with stuff the U.S. A is always there to lend a hand but when we may need a little help most countries seem to back away. We do our damdest to do the right thing and not hurt innocent people , and we certainly dont go flying airplanes into buildings killing thousands of people, we dont go sending our troops or followers on suicide missions to hurt innocent people by blowing ourself up to kill a few people because our leader hates certain individuals or governments. People in the U.S. Military serve for all diffrent reasons. Not only do we try to help ourselves but we try to help other countries also. So agin thanks to all the verterans and those serving now and thanks a great deal to AO for recognizing us.