Squid for Solaris 8

Thread: Squid for Solaris 8

Question Squid for Solaris 8

Does anyone know how to correctly install squid on Solaris 8. I need step by step instructions if possible. Thanks

Does anyone know how to correctly install squid on Solaris 8. I need step by step instructions if possible. Thanks
    Hi, since nobody else is gonna answer ur question I'll give u a little help. First read the Newbie FAQ (again). Now we can have a real talk.

I myself don't know any step by step instructions to install squid on Solaris but if I were u I would naturally search "how to install squid on solaris" (without quotes) at google. Yes u can type a full sentence or any other combination of words. Anyway, the first link comes up seems helpful to me. Check out the other links too.

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

Heya 36_chambers
    Wouldnt it be just like any other software i havent used squid and i dont know what it is but what are you
    having trouble with ? is the file you downloaded an rpm or tar.gz package ?

if it is an rpm issue the command

rpm -Uvh <rpm file name>

the rpm command will make and install the file's on to you're machine then issue the command whereis squid and it will show you where the rpm has installed it to

and if it is a tar file issue the command (NOTE i always make a directory in /tmp directory if i am installing new file's)

gzip -d <file name.>.tar.gz

this will uncompress the file from gzip and will take the gzip compression out of the file and you will be left with
    <file name>.tar

then issue the command

tar -xvf <file name>.tar

this will uncompress all the file's in to there own directory usually called what the tar package is
    then cd in to the directory
    then type ls to list the file's look for configure then type
    ./configure
    make
    make install

then ls to look for the file and ./squid --help to get the help menu
    if the configure command is not listed when you type ls llok for a file named generic then
    make generic
    make install
    then ./squid --help for help on command's

i dont mean to seem rude but the README file is there for a reason

hint 'cat README'
    NOTE you can only install most file's by being root the super user acount
    use the su command to switch user's

D.0.C

what up D.O.C, thanks for the info, i will try it in class today. This is for a project.