Thread: Strange things happening to my icons.

Strange things happening to my icons.

Ok, i recently found out i had sub7 running on my box, and i removed it (@least i hope i did!) and i dont know if this is the cause of this, but every time i shutdown my box and start it back up, or restart it, my hard drive icon keeps moving to the bottom of the screen, and it never has done this. i wanted to know if any other mac users have ever had this happen to them?

i know its not that big of a deal, but i just wonder if it might mean i didnt get all of sub7 off or if something else is going on.

also the only way i waz able to scan for and remove it, waz i use os 9.2.2 to run photoshop 6 in, ( i dont like how os x uses the memory in classic) and i have ol norton antivirus run at startup and thats when i found out i had it and removed it.

˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚
    man has not limit to its stupidity

Do you have the latest virus patterns of norton.If not I would suggest you get them.My pc-cillin has updated itself three times during the last two weeks.(pc-cillin2002)
    Practise what you preach.

Perhaps you have the w32.magistr. This virus causes your icons to jump around the screen. You can get more information and see an example of the icons moving from this link. http://securityresponse.symantec.com....24876@mm.html

If you don't have an antivirus program you can do a free online virus scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/.

I have an idea what you are talking about. I have had a similar problem before, just go to search and if you can find the name of the virus, search for it and delete it. That was what i did when i had this problem.

no harm >> detoxsmurf, but that waz a windoze virus, and a windoze online virus scanner.

and yea, i did let norton update its virus defs to whatever is there lastest., but i can only scan for virii in os 9, cause i dont have the os x verison of norton 7, and its only the hard drive icon, the rest of them dont move.

ebo is right, i've don it before but i was searching based on the extention of it "*.vir" for example.

anyway, make sure u delete sub7 the right way.
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?

I dunno if this is helpful, but have you tried rebuilding your desktop?
    Its relatively easy to rebuild you OS 9 desktop in OS X, by going to the classic control panel and in advanced or something there is a button to push to do it. Or, if you have Mac Army Knife, or another one of those do-everything-tools, you could rebuild it while in OS 9...

when the desktop gets corupted strange stuff happens.

Donal
    The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of dusk. -Hegel

i didnt think about that Dhej, but it is the icon in os x that is jumping around, i will try that la8r today and let ya know if that solved it.

Hmm, sorry..., I've been losing my mind lately...

Rebuilding your desktop is an OS 9 trick... I thought that you were having problems in 9, and not X...

You should check to make sure that someone hasn't stuck an amusing little Apple script in your start-up folder. Apple scripts are an easy way to make someones life miserable...

If the trojan had infected OS 9, you had bset make sure that everything in X is the way ou left it, anyone that has access to MacOS 9 can do what ever they want to the disk, as there isn't permissions. So with a text editor someone could do a lot of damage. Just look through the Library/ folders in you Home directory, the root directory, and in the system directory to make sure that there isn't something that looks funny...
    Oh and an easier thing to check is to go into the Login Items Control Panel and make sure nothing funky has appeared.

Just be carefull, things don't exactly like to be played with in there...

You could check to make sure that no new users have been added, but it is difficult to create a new user for X from 9, I mean, it has to be possible, but I wouldn't know how to do it, places to look are in the /etc and NetInfo, but again, these aren't safe places to go randomly deleting stuff.

Investing in a Virus Scanner for OS X would be a good move to make, you'll probably end up regretting not having one eventually..., I'm starting to get nervous since I haven't had the money to purchase one yet, either. But, I am planning on burning my home folder to disk soon and reformating and reinstalling without MacOS 9..., I haven't touched classic in ages. That and I just realized that I don't have my users set up the way I normally do with Admin, Dhej, and Test, and so I've had a sudden attack of paranoia...

Well, gotta go...,
    Dhej