Thread: not security related but i have a problem

not security related but i have a problem

hey, i am running os 9 off of my 4 year old clamshell iBook anyways, i recently completly filled up my hard drive and i need to install some more software. anyways, the older ibooks only have a USB port, no firewire. i cant find any hard drive that is USB compabable. also, if i connect an external hard drive to my computer through the USB port, i fear that my computer will load extremly slowly because i am running my hard drive off of USB. i am going to get a new computer soon, but not yet. i still am going to use this ibook for enother 6 months. anyways, if anyone can help, it would be greatly appriciated. also, what is an advantage of put a linux os on my ibook?? everyone is saying linux os are great but i have never really used one. anyways, why are they so good? also, one more question. i have a port flooder on my ibook and when i try to seek revenge on someone who just tried to attack my computer and try to flood their ports, my computer freezes. it is like the computer cant handle all of that information. is it just because i have a sad computer or is it the softwares fault? thanks everyone, all of your help is GREATLY appriciated!
    Support your right to arm bears.

^^This was the first video game which i played on an old win3.1 box

The Iceman Cometh
    First off, I wouldn't recommend installing Linux on an iBook if you're unfamiliar with it. I don't know how well Linux is made to support iBooks and you may run into a lot of problems that'll take a lot of time and energy to fix. As for your hard drive problem, I would recommend just taking programs/files off of your computer to free up enough disk space to do/install what you need until you can get a new computer. Finally, DO NOT EVER try to "seek revenge" by DoSing someone. You'll end up screwing yourself over. Not only will they most likely get you back 10 times harder, but many ISPs will automatically cancel your contract with them if you participate in illegal activities (which a DoS attack is constituted as).

AJ

First off, I wouldn't recommend installing Linux on an iBook if you're unfamiliar with it.
    you are right, i am not familiar with it at all, but you still didnt answer my first question, which was what are the main adavntages in linux. like i am always hearing people say yeah you shuold have gotten a linux based os for your pc or mac and i just dont understand why someone should get linux for a system in their house. if it is for a small company then yeah, linux all the way, but why would anyone get linux for their house? (this kinda sounds like i am making fun of linux, which i dont mean to be doing, i just have a question

also, you are right, i probably would get smacked back down ten times harder if i tried to get revenge on someone, but lets say i am trying to see if my friends server can really hold up when under attack. when i try to flood his ports, my computer just freezes. why does this happen?

The Iceman Cometh
    The freezing when you try to flood could be any number of things... lack of system resources... poorly written flood program (most which have been used against any of the networks I administrate are absolute crap), slow Internet connection, a firewall which is blocking the outgoing flood, etc.

As for the advantages of Linux... there have been tons of threads about it, but here's a rough idea:

- It's free
    - Almost everything you could ever want for it is free
    - It's inherently more secure
    - It's something new to learn
    - It is *completely* customizable (you can even recompile the kernel... basically the heart of the OS)
    - It's free (that's important, which is why it's on here twice)

That's a very short and rough rundown... there's a lot more than that. If you interested, you can search the AO archives for some more info. Also, check out the web sites from various Linux distributers for more information about why they think it's better. I personally prefer Red Hat Linux. There are also various BSD Unix flavors out there (which have a steeper learning curve)... if you're interested in those (though you should probably start with Linux) check out FreeBSD.

AJ

- It's free
    what do you mean it is free? when i go to Fry's electronics or any computer store i see Red HAt Linux in a box on a shelf with a triple digit number next to it. how can it be free? also, does windows software work on linux based os?

The Iceman Cometh
    It's not free if you want to pay for it. Just go to http://www.redhat.com and you can download the ISO images and burn them onto a CD yourself. I honestly don't know anyone who actually paid for their Linux installations, except for one business who needed an enterprise solution which Red Hat supplied them.

A lot of software made for Windows has *nix equivalents which are free for download. MS Office, for instance, can be replaced by either OpenOffice.org or Sun StarOffice (the latter of which 5.0 is free, but 6.0 costs money). If you really need a specific program, there are various emulators which will allow you to run Windows software on *nix machines, but I haven't seen any which worked without errors. Most people, however, either dual boot their machine (Windows and a *nix environment) so they can still use their Windows-based programs, but still have the use and functionality of *nix. Others (such as myself) have more than one computer, so we don't need to reboot in order to get to another operating system. I have actually have quite a large collection of computers, including NT, 2000, XP, Red Hat Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris and AIX Unix workstations, but that's only because I have money to waste and an addiction to knowledge.

AJ

You can get linux for free if you get hooked up with a user group. almost all major cities have them and they are a great resource. where im from they have install fests where you can take your computer and talk with gurus and have them help you install linux. im not sure but im pretty sure red hat doesnt run on mac. i think the best one for the powerpc is yellow dog. personally i would just install osx cause you have to mess witha lot of crap to install linux on a mac. its not as easy as people will tell you.
    z
    Keep Working It