Thread: (Another) killer game

(Another) killer game

Get some sleep, gamers, and do what your mom tells you...

An extreme case of internet obsession hit the news headlines last month when 24-year-old Kim Kyung-jae collapsed and died after playing computer games at an internet cafe in the south-western city of Kwangju.

He had been playing virtually non-stop for 86 hours.

"The only breaks he had where when he briefly stopped to buy cigarettes and use the toilet," said Detective Hong Gun-hee, the investigating officer.

"These days, there aren't many places where young people can go.

"PC bangs are open 24 hours a day - and there is every potential that another case like this could happen again."

Mr Kim did not have a full time job. His mother, Choi Yong-soon, is still trying to make sense of his death.

"I told him not to spend so much time on the internet", she explained. "He just said 'yes mum', but kept on playing.
    Full article.

Previous killer.

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Haha, that's a funny line : "get some sleep and do what your mom tells you to". Seriously, I can't help it if he can't walk away from the computer after a normal session of gaming (for me, that's around 10 hours straight, if I gamed that long), nor can I help it if the PC shop never questioned why he was still there after the 2-day mark. 86 straight hours?!

As for his mother, that's a joke too because she's not saying anything about how she tried to get him to do something other than gaming. What methods did she employ to keep him off the computer? What else did he have? Nothing. This could be a case of 'guy has nothing else going for him, not even his family gives a damn, and now he's gone and they want to blame the PC, when it was his way out'. Typical family crap, right there. Ignore the kid or yell at him at every turn, and sure, be "surprised" when he ends up dead or something because nobody gave a damn.

I wonder if this would have been the same way if a guy working on a project at work, forced by his managers to complete it by a specific time, died the same way? Probably not, because that's ok, even though I've seen people pass out from over-exhaustion from work because of the political deadlines they promised to meet even though there's no chance for that to happen, but it's not their nights they lose with family or sleeping or whatnot...just their bonus checks are lower if the employees underneath being driven by the slave-driver managers don't complete it. But this case is different because 'it's based on video games' or whatnot.

I think (IMHO) this should be targeting the parents. Something else isn't being talked about here and more than likely, it's another reason why he's no longer around, not *just* the video games, although the gaming addiction certainly helped him on his way.

EDIT: just so people know, I work in front of a computer 10 hours a day and then go home where my gf and I sit in front of our respective computers for an additional 5-7 hours before going to bed. Weekends are filled with gaming! Guys, get a gamer chick. They rule above all else. On average, I do about 40 hours of gaming during a week on top of my 24/7-coverage job. Games range from O.R.B., Hegemonia, Age of Mythology, Raven Shield demo, America's Army, Battlefield 1942 (#4 clan on the TWL ladder out of 70ish clans last I checked), Unreal Tournament 2003, Warcraft 3 and I'm waiting for Unreal 2, Max Payne 2, Deus Ex 2, Doom 3, Expansion for WC3. The gf plays Priston Tale and some other single-player games. Gaming definitely keeps me from taking an AK-47 to work.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

I wonder if this would have been the same way if a guy working on a project at work, forced by his managers to complete it by a specific time, died the same way? Probably not, because that's ok, even though I've seen people pass out from over-exhaustion from work because of the political deadlines they promised to meet even though there's no chance for that to happen, but it's not their nights they lose with family or sleeping or whatnot...just their bonus checks are lower if the employees underneath being driven by the slave-driver managers don't complete it. But this case is different because 'it's based on video games' or whatnot.
    Yeah, I myself have seen people chasing business deadlines they (or their boss) promised to meet, although everybody knows it's very unlikely. Nice try, they think. BIG try, to me! Also usually those things happen during these days, near the end of year, the fourth quarter. If you don't meet the deadlines, you'll miss your bonus, or even get your salary cut. So what happen is a chain reaction. The CEO pushes his/her directors, the directors push their managers, the managers push their staffs, the staffs push themselves... Then everybody works like hell. Not much different than our poor fellow gamer.

EDIT: Oh, and I got this neg --- "why do you get positives for things like this? more AP abuse. Interesting how you've made back all those greenies without contributing a single thing to antionline, except for a few jokes and posting a few links." --- AP abuse? Come on... You could have a better reason than that.

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

haha, man that would suck some ass right there, i could almost picture that, my Mom would walk in and find me dead in my chair from being over stressed by other family members and working and going to school and theyd blame my computer....mmmm my computer *hugs the machine* its one of the only friends i have aloud in the house