Windows XP activation

Thread: Windows XP activation

Windows XP activation

How exactly does this work? Because someone I know installed a copied version of XP Home, and was able to activate it.
    Mama always said, keep your virus definitions up to date.

u sure it wasn't a cracked copy?

I'm pretty sure.

It was just installed and then activated. Maybe he's being lured into a false sense of security and they are actually tracking his location, those sneaky Micro$oft people...
    Mama always said, keep your virus definitions up to date.

Xp home will let you uses it with-out activation for 30 days (might be less).
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.

Yeah it's thirty days, there is a way that you can use the activation file from another comp to fool Xp into thinking it is activated. . .I won't go into the details but google will.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Make sure that it is not a cracked version, because we do not promote warez. Bludgeon is correct, there is a way to get by this but, like i said we do not promote warez. I hope you find a way to make sure this si not a cracked version because i do not want you to get in trouble.

Yes, we don't want to have another AO member banned because of warez, be careful
    Creating new accounts suck (take it from me)
    I read somewhere you shouldn\'t always believe what you read so what the Hell am I supposed to do?

it's possible, just not all that probable.

Microsoft isn't overly concerned with just a couple of home users taking a copy of WinXP. they implemented the activation mostly to nail bigger companies trying to steal their software.

however, it may have been an evaluation copy. for those, you can have a countless number using the same cd key, and have them all be activated. i know this, because that's what we did at my college (yes, they were all licensed). with the evaluation copy, you have 15 days to activate it, and once it's been activated, you have 120 days before it stops working. at which point, i guess some might just format and reinstall.

that's some peoples' plan, but certianly not mine. hell, i don't even like XP all that much.
    i will shoot you so hard.