Thread: Free news server

Free news server

I found this gem of a service, a free news server.
    It's located here: http://news.cis.dfn.de/en/register.html
    Has something to do with a German university...

Send them a polite mail and ask for a free signup!

If you like, you can of course use Google's free service. But then you'd have to use their web-client also. I like to use my own news client, and with the German service I can!

I haven't found many free news services, if you know of any, please share!
    ---
    proactive

hi proactive

thanks so much, dat really helped, i was searching for one, i mean " a good one"
    you get quite already, but not of much use

I signed up with them long ago, before I found a ton of free news servers, and got broadband, they are good, and pretty fast to respond to e-mails, but they don't carry as many usenet groups as, say, your local broadband provider might. It's a great service, just lacking a bit. I can't believe they still offer it though, they've kept it going for a long time.

I personally use newzbot, I can usually find what I'm looking for.

-gunder

sorry for the Interruption ... what exactly is " news server " i mean for what u use it.
    sorry again. but i'd love to know.
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?

A news server is a USENET server, and USENET is on of the base components in the internet. You have the web, email, USENET. All of these are for exchanging information amongst it's users in different ways.

USENET is sort of a forum, much like Antionline, with lots of different topics (groups) which are all arranged in a hierarchy. The hierarchies moves from general to specific, and is defined using an address like this one: no.it.programming.c++. The no stands for Norway, it for information tech., programming and c++ explains itself. Of course in this group the topic of interest is c++ programming.

The USENET is the web's no 1 place for asking questions about a specific topic. There are groups for almost every topic, from programming to stamp collecting (although computer related stuff is the majority).

To access the USENET you would need a USENET server (news server) which is usually provided by the ISP. Sometimes the ISP does not provide a news server, and sometimes the news server is crap (my provider's is...). And you would need a news client, which in many occations would be your e-mail client (outlook express can read news). A few web pages provide both the client and the server, Google is one of those. Choose "groups" in the main page and the base of the USENET hierarchy is displayed.
    ---
    proactive

got it ... thanks for the info.

appreciated bro.

tc
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?